Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Starting garden over

What plants I should plant now? I'm in FL. (not sure what zone that is).

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

According to a couple zone maps, you are in Zone 9B and with that info you can look up planting guidelines on the net for your area. Simply search for "Planting Guides for Orlando, Fla." and you should get all the info you need from your area extension service.

I'm in Zone 9 and have all of my winter stuff in the ground for several weeks now. There's still things you can plant though, but like I said, check out what your agriculture service recommends.

soil
Greener Thumb

more eatable perennials!

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Hey, wanted you to know that all of the lettuce, bok choy, broccoli, peas onions, some peppers did alright with the cold. They actually look the same. The beans I have growing do not look bad either. I did lose some tomato plants. Some survived, they may have been heartier plants. Hope you have good luck. It got down to 27 last night in Cocoa, Merritt Island.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

It was 26 here in lake mary this morning. So far the plants are doing okay, but tomorrow morning it'll be around 25. I covered the garden with sheets and put 2 spotlights in it to help keep the garden plants....well......not as cold as the unprotected plants.

It's hard to believe that it'll be 78+ degrees on Friday.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I know that is the hardest for me as well. It is bitter cold then it will warm up to the old Florida we are use to and you look at the damage and there just isn't enough time to start over. You just have to wait until Spring. Last year and it looks like this year have been the worst I have seen in my 40 some years in FL. :shock: I can remember getting to the beach in Dec. 8) These little cold pocket days will make it very difficult to glean anything in the winter. I am seriously thinking of setting up a light system for the winter to help and use that other suggestion of the milk jugs filled will hot water to place under the sheets, it is just so much loss. The two tomato plants I lost were huge with losts of tomatos on them and the sheets alone just didn't do it. You know what is funny, it was way to hot in August to truly start a fall crop in FL, but it isn't enough time before the freezes start, to get them to harvest if you start later, like I did in middle of Sept. Heck the first cold spell was two weeks ago. Oh well I am going to think of something else to extend their life. I saw on the news some kind of plastic or cloth like material at a Orlando nursery that keeps the cold out, it is designed just for this, but I am not sure what it is called. It worked great. I want some of that as well if I can find out what it is. Have a great day! :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a zone 9-10 planting schedule:

https://www.thevegetablegarden.info/resources/planting-schedules/zones-9-10-planting-schedule

it looks like you could be planting many of the cool season veggies now ... beets broccoli cauliflower cabbage lettuce peas.

But I think this is a schedule for when to plant seeds. It would make some difference if you are putting in transplants which are more vulnerable.

applestar
Mod

Maybe a simple bent PVC tube and greenhouse plastic tunnel would be enough if all you need is 5~10ºF of protection? You can bury larger diameter tubes in the ground as ground sockets so you can put the pvc up and take them down as needed. (I've tried using re-bar -- they' have to stay sticking out of the ground and are dangerous when not in use -- not recommended)

For more money, there are Pop-up type temporary green houses (with tie-downs) -- basically clear/transluscent floor-less tents -- that you might put over favorite plants when they need it (ideally you would plant with its use in mind). They might be easier to set up then put away when you don't need them.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Lowes sells a "Frost Protection Blanket". It is pretty large and costs about twelve dollars. It is a green fabric manufactured by Dupont. I have a couple of them and while they won't help in an extended freeze, they do a good job protecting from an overnight frost.

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”