garden5
Super Green Thumb

Good info, Potatoes and Cynthia.

One thing I recommend NOT DOING is putting open cans of hot water under a bucket with your plants. I did this with 3 of my pepper plants, thinking it would help the cans to radiate heat off better. The result? One plant died and all of the other plants were fine. I suspect that the water released too much humidity into the air, which adversely affected the plant when it got cold.....and I've heard that peppers are usually pretty hardy to the cold!

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Well I just wrapped all my plants up in blankets and pulled all potted plants in garage, I am using any and all advice as I have nothing to lose. If they die they die. So far the days they predicted the freezing temps have not been as bad as they say. I have the temp gauge out there and have checked late and early morning and no 32 yet. Tonight may be first. I like the milk jug idea and will use that tomorrow, it is supposed to be worse. You'd think I had my kids out there the way I am checking and wrapping them. I just put so much effort and this fall I did better then the spring, so I will be disappointed if I lose a bunch. I know the day will come when it will be time to clean up and prepare for spring, I was hoping being in Florida I could keep it going alot longer. I want to thank you all for all the advice.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Glad we could help. Let us know how the plants come through.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

just checking back in - the insulated and thermally-massed wigwam did work, as the (somewhat frost-sensitive) plant inside was fine on sat when I harvested. glad I did, though, 'cause it has since gotten colder in this current weather-ing (2F outside when I got out his morning), and I don't wanna push it TOO far. just enough. (though out of curiosity, after pulling the tubers off the oca plant that was inside, I re-planted the roots and reassembled the shelter. will check in again when weather permits)

edit: yes, I probably should have specified sealed/lidded jugs of water. adding water vapor doesn't necessarily help.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Funny you bring that up, I justed visited my EGG man today and he has helped me alot with my garden. Older and wiser, he uses the Christmas lights when we have cold weather (not LED) but the old type and has found they do help quite a bit. It saved his citrus and Mango trees. I am going to buy some at the after XMAS Sale this year and have them around. Someone else on this forum said they used them to grow their seedlings, so I am going to try to get double duty out of them. I will have the prettiest light show in my garden this winter. I will let you know if they help. The freeze did hit Florida last night, even on the cost. The themp on the patio said 36 , but outside read 27. I have no idea how long it was that cold. I know I lost tomato plants. The ones on the patio were alright, had them covered with three layers, the outside ones, a couple look pretty droopy. I am covering them heavier tonight. I will let you know. I am sad. They had lots of tomatos on them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”