Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Is anyone growing your own coffee plants?

Is anyone growing your own coffee plants?

I hear they make great shrubs around the house.

applestar
Mod

I started from seeds this past spring. 8)
Out of 10 seeds, 1 sprouted. it now has 6 sets of true leaves. It was set back a little this fall when one of the strawberry-from-store seeds that I experimentally planted in the same container sprouted, grew, and took off enough to crowd the little coffee plant. I've separated the strawberry out now and the coffee is back to having ample room to grow. I'm hoping for a jump in growth next summer. :wink:
Last edited by applestar on Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

webmaster
Site Admin

I visited a friend's coffee plantation years ago. They can grow to be quite wide. Seems like they prefer similar weather as wine grapes, cool mornings and evenings with sun in the afternoon.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:Is anyone growing your own coffee plants?

I hear they make great shrubs around the house.
Gary, I might need some correction on this... but, I did some research on growing a Coffee tree (shrub) a little while back, and I don't believe they will survive (outside) through our Tennessee winter.

I plan on building a small greenhouse soon... so, I was thinking I might try to grow a Coffee plant in there. My plan, for the winter months, is to erect an extra (small) plastic "house" around the Coffee plant (sort of a greenhouse-within-a-greenhouse), and have a small heater with thermostat inside the coffee "house" to keep it toasty at night.
I haven't got serious about trying it yet... but I'm scheming on it! :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

This sounds like a neat idea. If you are too far north to have them grow outside all year, you could probably just grow them as an ornamental house-plant in a pot.

Apps, when you say "seeds," do you mean regular coffee beans, or did you order seeds specifically for this purpose.

Here are some articles on growing a coffee plant at home:

[url=https://www.coffeeresearch.org/coffee/homegrowing.htm]Grow Coffee Beans at Home[/url]

[url=https://www.coffeefair.com/coffee-facts-plant.htm]Coffee Plant Growing[/url]

applestar
Mod

I bought the seeds from Horizon Herbs, but I've heard you can buy fresh beans for growing from a green coffee bean supplier by special request. I'd have to look up the link, but I may have posted about it before. I did a lot of research back when I started out. I read that an old model hot air popcorn popper that I recognized from my college dorm days is being snapped up on e-bay for roasting coffee beans. 8)

NorthCoastGardener

Sounds like a great idea, wonder how the coffee plant would do with coastal weather? Thanks for the articles, very interesting that it appears you can grow the plant in a pot as well as in the ground.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”