jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Winter

9 inches of snow and snowing. Looks like the garden is really done now. I have some seeds that I gathered that need to be cleaned up and bagged. Onions and beans. Did the chard seed last night. Beets a few days ago.

bwhite829

68 degrees and overcast today. going to cook some of the greens I picked on saturday that I didn't have time to cook, and on thanksgiving I'm heading to the family dinner early to pick some more so I can help cook dinner there :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We continue to have near record highs and drought. 72 degrees today, average would be 50! It would be pleasant except it feels rather bizarre to walk out in shirt sleeves at T-giving time. I should still be watering everything (ie. especially the new trees and shrubs), but I've given up.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

My goodness, we have blizzard warnings out for tomorrow. We are really getting hammered.

csvd87

We are at -13C with wind chill and a few cm of snow on the ground, but its supposed to warm up to lows of +4C in a couple days... this place is weird, it can never make up its mind what season it is.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Get out the dog sled Jal. Do you have snow shoes? How far are you from Snow Bird?
Last edited by tomf on Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Given our forecast, I thought I'd wait until tomorrow to post this but . . . I'm afraid Jal will be back with a report on even more severe winter weather :wink: .

With wind gusts to 25mph, it is 9°F, there is 8" of snow on the ground and more coming down :shock: ! Of course, it is blowing.

Tomorrow, below 0°F.

Steve

TWC015

Winter still hasn't arrived here. I still haven't had a hard frost so my warm-season crops are hanging on.

I would love to have snow this early. It is hard to get a good snow here; we usually end up with freezing rain.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I think we should blame Kisal and Tomf. :roll: They keep talking about snow. :x :P

23F Clear, More snow Thursday. :twisted:

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Snow%20November%2022nd%202010/CopyofDSC02977.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Snow%20November%2022nd%202010/CopyofDSC02974.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Snow%20November%2022nd%202010/DSC02991.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Snow%20November%2022nd%202010/DSC02980.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Snow%20November%2022nd%202010/CopyofDSC02981.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Snow%20November%2022nd%202010/DSC02985.jpg[/img]

Eric

bwhite829

Its 83 here today. break out the shorts and get ready of thanksgiving on the beach. 8)

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Ok bwhite sounds good.

shadowsmom

bwhite829 wrote:Its 83 here today. break out the shorts and get ready of thanksgiving on the beach. 8)
I am so jealous! :D

I will be retiring to a warm climate, eventually. I really miss summer and being able to go outside in flip-flops.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

shadowsmom wrote:
bwhite829 wrote:Its 83 here today. break out the shorts and get ready of thanksgiving on the beach. 8)

I will be retiring to a warm climate, eventually. I really miss summer and being able to go outside in flip-flops.

Be prepared to pay through the roof for A/C. I just forked over $9000+ for 2 new AC units, and that includes the rebates. Without rebates, the price would be around $16,000. :evil: :evil:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"How far are you from Snow Bird?"

The Snowbird Ski resort is only about 90 miles as the crow flies, but considerably more on the road.

We are getting a good winter blizzard tonight. Snow and winds. There will definitely be some great fresh powder for sking on Thanksgiving weekend. The resort is only 29 miles from the SLC airport. Better come sking.

applestar
Mod

I remember going skiing in Utah. That memorable weekend was when I found out that a Black diamond trail in Utah was considerably steeper than those in East coast... too late. :shock: I took a tumble down a deserted slope... Luckily fresh soft powder (which btw I was also not used to -- at least not the kind depth we had that day) saved me from injury though I had the wind knocked out of me and I wondered what would happen if I couldn't get up as I really didn't see anybody coming along.

That and the wimpy 4-cylinder Ford rental (I was driving a Supra back home back then.... :wink:) that labored to climb the mountain up to the ski slopes. :roll: :lol: I can still picture the long line of irate drivers behind me in the rear and side mirrors. :oops:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Fun. It doesn't help that the resort is higher with thinner air so the gutless car is even more gutless. :lol:

Well it has quit snowing. About another 6 inches with drifting. Now it can get cold. They are saying -2 before morning.

shadowsmom

Francis Barnswallow wrote:
shadowsmom wrote:

Be prepared to pay through the roof for A/C. I just forked over $9000+ for 2 new AC units, and that includes the rebates. Without rebates, the price would be around $16,000. :evil: :evil:
I just had a new furnace and air conditioning put in. I already pay a lot for air and heat, I might as well pay and wear flip-flops!

:)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I can get in here again with a Ski Report!

I think all ski areas will be open this weekend! Lookout Pass on the ID/MT border and 49° North in eastern Washington opened last weekend. Mt. Spokane and Silver Mountain open Friday. Everywhere, there was over 30" of snow at the summits before this most recent storm.

Schweitzer will officially open this Friday and has 58" of snow right now at the top.

At 6am, it is -5°F here at home. There's a good chance that people hereabouts will be able to have dinner tomorrow and get back home before the snow again begins to fall. Happy Thanksgiving!

Steve :D

tomf
Super Green Thumb

digitS the area my wife and I have our passes at is now open. :D I go to Mt. Hood Meadows as it has the best terrain; most steep and off trail runs.
Apple star I grew up in the Boston area, yes the mountains out west much bigger. I have skied a number of areas in Utah and skied Snowbird a number of times. There are a few spots where you have to go through a narrow and steep shoot between rocks to get to the slope you want: no room to turn much so you come out the bottom moving a warp speed. 8)
If you guys ever come to Oregon post me and we will go skiing.
It is cold for Oregon 24 deg.f at my home. Burning lots of wood.

I posted the photos before, this is not the most difficult or longest way down but it represents most of the skiing in Heather Canyon. If you have some thing fun to do in the winter it is not so bad. The photo of the top of the mountain is looking over a distance of miles. So the slopes you see are big. There are people on them but they are to small to show up.

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/steep.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/hc2.jpg[/img]

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Just got my first snow the other night. It doesn't look like it will stick, though.

I, too, have some sunflowers and bolted lettuce in the garage to get the seed from, but haven't had much of a chance to do that.

mansgirl

Its been really warm in Michigan too. I have a planter of Petunias sitting by my front door that have out lasted my mums and some of my pumpkins. I should really get rid of it because it looks silly this late in the year, and its kind of stunted, but its still blooming and I just don't have the heart to throw it out. Plus I want to see if I can have petunias in December! :D

applestar
Mod

Tomf, that is not a "slope" -- it's not even a "trail". That most definitely looks like a CLIFF that you're about to jump off of! :shock:

:lol:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/home_sweet_snow.jpg[/img]

I am living in a world of white these days. Down in the valley in this picture is the small rural town where I live. At present the temperature is
7° F. Nothing much is going to be growing here for a few months.

Yep! The ski resorts are open.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Applestar your right it is a bit steep in that area when you start on a slope like that you know your going to the bottom so you want to do it on your feet. The whole of the Heather area at Meadows is double black dimond with some places even more difficult and as you said it is different out West. There are plenty of easy trails to ski. I would never take any one down some place they were not ready for, I do not find it funny to put people in danger.

Ja-ut your town looks like a village, I bet every one knows everbody there. It looks nice in the snow.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Oh the snow looks lovely! We have just gotten frost and freeze... car was so frozen yesterday the windows wouldnt roll down. But thats about as dramatic as Sacramento CA gets...
May have to go up to the snow here soon and get in a good snowman and snowball fight...
We are expecting rain by Thursday, nothing to interesting... but its cold, well as cold as it gets here! Lived up in northern Minnesota for while so I cant really call it cold here...
Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Oh TomF - all I can say to that one picture is NOPE -no way... not going to happen, that is a cliff, how do you ski off a cliff... well people like me don't ski, I would wind up in traction for a year... You are quite brave...

garden5
Super Green Thumb

It's about time, Jal.....I was waiting for a pick of your snow-covered landscape :wink: 8). It looks just as good snow-covered as it does with grass :).

Tom, I'm with CT on the ski pic: beautiful, but I'll enjoy it standing still. I can just see myself getting to the bottom of that slope with a mouth full of pine needles :lol:.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/ss_sept5_2010_2.jpg[/img]
Utah Sunset

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Jal, not far from where I am there is a "Hidden Valley Road." I can remember when the sign went up on the highway several decades ago.

I didn't have any good reason to drive up the road and couldn't really figure out how there would be any real "valley" up there in a swale between the hills. I knew that there was a developer doing his level best to build and sell off houses but -- the name was intriguing.

Probably because the idea of a hidden valley captured my imagination, I didn't drive up that road for a good 30 years after the sign went up. I always thought that it might look something like your little Utah town :wink: . Of course, when I did drive thru - it didn't look anything at all like the picture in my imagination or your pretty little town.

I will go back to imagining it the way I always did and forget the reality. Now, on the other side of the mountain, there's another valley . . . .

Steve :)
who has just experienced the snowiest November on record here - with over 24 inches of snowfall. This morning, the thermometer has crept up to melting temperature.

bwhite829

all my gloating has resulted in a soft freeze :( I haven't been able to get out there and put some of my stuff up, so I'm sure it hurt alot of my plants. I'm going over to the garden first thing in the morning to put up as much as I can because I think we are having a really hard freeze next week, and I don't want to lose everything :(

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

For the last ten days the temperatures got a bit warmer, up into the 40s. That first snow we had all melted. When I saw my garden was bare again, I went out and planted some shallots I found sitting in the garage in a bucket.

Last night it started snowing some more. This morning it looks like we may have 5 or 6 inches. I haven't ventured out yet. Its still dark. I will go out after sunup and start the tractor and start moving snow. I have several driveways I clear for neighbors, beside my own.

Hope you are having a wonderful winter? Merry Christmas.
[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/porcupine_12_11_2010.JPG[/img]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”