Avonnow
Green Thumb

Peas

Can anyone give me any advice on peas, I live in Florida it has started to get much nicer (cooler) I plants Peas about 8 weeks ago, they seem to be getting about 6-8 inches and doing nothing, They are Maestro and they look nice and green, but grow straight up - no bushing out of any sort, they have little fingers to attach to a trellis, but they don't, some have gotten like one pea pod and thats it. I have some planted under some Tall Okra for shade as we can still get a few hot days, the others are in a huge garden pot - both sets look the same. Any thoughts. I have no experience, so this could be normal. Will they do better the longer it stays cooler. Do peas take awhile? Thanks in advance. :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I just plant this variety with my garlic. First time for me and hope they fix a little nitrogen.

What I have read, they should grow to about 24" tall. Maturity is 60 days or so. At eight weeks, I would figure something is wrong. What are the day time highs?

Eric

Avonnow
Green Thumb

When I planted them from seed in September - it was probably still too warm, I thought since they were from seed, by the time they got going it would cool down, It was probably in the upper 80's here, in the last month since they have sprouted it has been nicer, Right now this is out second spell of really cold weather (I know, I don't know cold) but for Florida this is cold. About 50 at night and the past three days have been about 65 in the daytime - alot less humid for the past month. All plants have started performing much better since the first cold snap about 3 weeks ago, you think they will pick up - they look fine, no disease or browning, just small looking plants. The pea pods that have formed were super tasty - I picked one and tried it, I just don't know if they get better with cooler weather or if this is typical in the beginning. I tried to find pictures of a mature pea plant to see what it should look like, but couldn't find any. I thought when I planted the first batch in the shade of the Okra ( I have a book that recommends that for fall plantings) that would shield them from to much heat. again they do not look heat stressed at all from outward appearances. Thanks

applestar
Mod

I thought peas are winter crops in non-freezing area like Florida. Around here, once temps start hitting 80's in late May, peas are mostly done for, and I sowed the fall peas after the night time lows occasionally got down to the 60's. But my fall peas didn't amount to much this year: not enough -- well practically NO -- rain until about a month after I planted the seeds.

It sounds like right now would be perfect. Why don't you try sowing some more peas?

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Thanks I think I am going to try another one, just to see - another brand that is. So I know if it is me, the weather or type.

Thanks
Sherry

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I can never get peas to do well in the fall. They are a cool weather plant, but I think they also need long days to bloom well. This you get when planting in April, but not if you plant in late August or September.

Not much to do with these peas, but wait and see what they do.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/peas_5.jpg[/img]
These are spring planted peas. They got about 3 feet tall then fell over when the pods developed. The peas I planted in mid August got about a foot tall and only had a few pods on them.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/peas_6_10.jpg[/img]
Wando Peas. Wandos do better in warm weather than some varieties.

Try some peas in the spring and see if they do better.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I will and I am looking now for a type to purchase, so I will check on the one you recommended. I thought maybe Florida in Fall would be more like up north and they would do well. I am not going to pull them yet, as the days are getting cooler for us, but will try again in Spring for sure. Thanks

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”