BML

Potatoes for Christmas?

I believe that it is possible to grow potatoes in a container to be ready for Christmas.
Can anyone tell me if this is possible and if it is where does one get the seed potatoes from or is it allright to use normal potatoes that one buys at a supermarket?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I should think that it would be possible. Potatoes that you buy at the supermarket are generally treated so that they don't go to seed but, if you can find seed potatoes at a nursery, they should work.

I just leave my potatoes in the ground until I harvest them. If you do plan to grow them, get the seed potatoes in the ground ASAP to take advantage of the warm weather.

And if possible, I would put them in the ground as apposed to a container which, can freeze and therefore prevent the growth of the potatoe plant.

decam0

It's okay to plant potatoes in a container if you can get them under cover in a glasshouse or outhouse. You need to act soon. Fill the container(s) (a large dustbin is ideal) to about half full and put your seed potatoes in (three will be enough). Then cover the potato with about six inches of soil. Keep it watered, and as the haulms grow keep piling in the soil to almost bury them. Harvest the potatoes on Christmas morning!
Delia

grantandersonuk

What I always do is to place some new potatoes (Jersey Royals will do fine) in a tin box and bury it fairly deeply in the garden.

You dig it up for Christmas and bingo: you have delightful fresh new potatoes well out of season! They taste far superior to any "new" potatoes a supermarket can provide.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Great idea!

grantandersonuk

You are welcome - I just hope you don't have any permafrost in BC! :-)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”