Avonnow
Green Thumb

Fertilizer

I need some suggestions for a organic fertilizer, I do have compost but my pile is less then a year old and while an area of it is nice and black, most is still a work in progress. I do like to have a good fertilizer. I have tried Garden Tone, I am going to say - it was alight. I didn't find anything extra-ordinary about it. anyone else have good luck with anything. I live near ACE, Lowes, Home Depot and have one large Nursery that carries various things. I could order it online if it is a obscure brand. I would love to hear your suggestions. Please don't say chicken poop - I can't find anyone near me with Chickens, that wants to part with it, or I would be getting that. I have friends with gardens who use that and lets just say I have chicken poop envy :lol: - their gardens look spectacular. Thanks in advance.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

You know I have seen that and I know my husband had gotten it in years past for something else, I also saw at ACE a bag that said it was Chicken Compost - I wonder if that is good then. I always like to hear what others use and then try, everytime I buy soemthing it is a junk shoot. It can get costly. Thanks - I will get a bag.

applestar
Mod

I'm not a fertilizer maven. I do the compost thing, and mulch thing, occasionally toss in rock phosphate, greensand, AACT when mood strikes me. I don't use manure. I plant in overcrowded polyculture beds. And I don't use chemicals.

My garden produces more than I can use and preserve, but I'm sure it has potential to do even better if I dedicated myself to such a goal.

I did notice improved growth and health from using HAY as mulch rather than straw. I didn't get overrun with weeds the way it's always been drilled into me: "STRAW NOT HAY"

Also, I mixed up container mix using two premium potting soil mixes containing compost and mycorrhizae, in addition to the usual compost, garden sill, and sand. I also added DR. EARTH's veg garden fertilizer which I got on sale. my container plants that were repotted using this particular mix grew 3 times the size they started with. So draw your own conclusions.

Oh, there's a "soil conditioner" I like called "Gardener's Gold Bumper Crop". I usually spread some of that in spring in addition to my own compost. One of the premium potting soil is made by the same company. I don't see these at big box stores but at independent nurseries and garden centers.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Avonnow wrote:I need some suggestions for a organic fertilizer,....
You might want to consider growing some cover crops; also known as "green manure" crops. Maybe some winter rye grown through the fall/winter, or some legume crops to be turned back into the soil.

Cover crops may not totally replace the use of other fertilizers or manures for you, but they can be another good source for enriching your soil.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I buy quite a bit of Whitney Farms plant food each spring. Since it is a Scott's product, you should be able to find it most everywhere.

Whitney Farms has a composted chicken manure. If your garden center doesn't have it but has other Scott's products, you could likely order it. The NPK for it is 3-2-2.

You don't have to buy the "All-Purpose" or "Tomato and Vegetable Food." The natural lawn fertilizer may be just fine and is probably lower priced. If you need a little more phosphorus than what's in the lawn fertilizer, add some rock phosphate or steamed bone meal.

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”