jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Fall Greens

Still finding some goodies in the fall garden.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/fall_greens.jpg[/img]

Kale, arugula, curly mustard, bunching onions, and dill.
The broccoli was still making side shoots, but I am letting it bloom for the bees.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I got some of the same stuff today, Jal: mustard, dill, radish and cilantro. There are also lettuce, bok choy and leeks, on-hand.

Interesting that you grow bunching onions. We are probably in a very exclusive club -- I've got Tokyo Whites. Or, did have. They lasted all summer and it was just a matter of stripping off the outside leaves to have tender green onions, any old time :) .

Back tomorrow to a different garden to get the celeriac and see if there is any kale on the stalks. I know that there will be at least tiny leaves but those plants weren't left with much a week ago. Curious to see if a good rain and a couple of sunny days encouraged some growth, or just any growth.

Steve :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The bunching onions was one of my experiments this year. I had never grown them before. I was really pleased with them. I will grow them again. Nice green onions all season. These were quite large as they continued to grow, but they are sweet and tender still. This could be a good alternative if you have trouble growing the dry onions.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Jal, that's a great harvest. How did you sow you bunching onions? Were they from seed or sets?

Also, how do your onions handle frost? You've probably had some frosts by now, so I'm just curious. I knew tomatoes don't take it well.....and I just learned that neither do peppers :lol:.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Bunching onions are planted from seed. They are not even phased by the frosts we have had up to now. They will probably live through the winter. I am going to let a few go through winter and see what they do in the spring.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have so much trouble with onion seedlings and weeds - I start the onions in a flat of soil in the greenhouse. That gives me extra weeks to beat up the weeds on the soil surface so that the little, skinny onion guys can be transplanted out.

Just touching a weed within 3 inches of a seedling and I am in danger of uprooting the onion :roll:. And, onions practice political correctness while growing -- they accommodate any and all neighbors!

Only onion sets and purchased plants have enuf of a head start not to allow the weeds to become a headache in an onion bed . . . in my garden :oops:. Of course, others never have this problem.

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”