stella1751
Greener Thumb

28 degrees signals the beginning of the end. I can save my plants down to 28 by covering them. Any lower than that, and they start to lose the battle, beginning with frost-burned tops. Did you get in everything you wanted?

applestar
Mod

Yes.... Into the garage. But it's now 26°F outside. ( most weather forecasts said 30°, though I reported the lowest forecast I could find. ) :shock:

Things are supposed to warm up a bit from here on, but we seem to have had later frost and early first deep freeze at the same time this year. Normally this kind of freeze don't occur until end of November. There were no frost warning/alert, let alone freeze warning for last night either. :?

Not sure how low temp in the garage got. The stuff in the garage might have been stressed. I guess I'll find out....

applestar
Mod

Today is trash collection day and I'd forgotten to put some out so I went outside and WOW things look AMAZING! I think the term is "HOARY frost" though I might be wrong.

"Lady in Red" salvias I grew from seed this spring that were planted all over the front beds had been gamely blooming through the two light frosts we've had. Now they are frozen solid, looking like some kind of a movie scene -- taken unawares and iced over in mid-activity. :o

I'd left a thermometer on the floor next to the plants I'd brought in and it read 34ºF. Not enough to freeze. Whew! :D I guess I'll spend the day figuring out where to put them all inside.... :lol:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

There was another frost on the ground this morning. I'm sure glad I went through the garden and picked all of the beans and peppers. The tomato plants were all pretty much done.

Mint is pretty tough. It was covered in frost the other day, yet it still looked good by afternoon, not the slightest wilt.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”