SeansBrewing
Newly Registered

Fungus (mushrooms) showed up in my new garden!

Hello All,

I'm a new gardener, waiting for my first crop of cucumbers and other vegetables. Today I woke up this morning and some fungus has begun to invade. What should I do?

Thanks,
Sean

[img]https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d119/Seano99/fungus.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d119/Seano99/fungus2.jpg[/img]

ACW

don't worry,
they will die away,and leave no problem.
My guess is the fungus are associated with the wood bits in the soil .
the fungus may return next year ,but its a sign of good things going on in the soil !

SeansBrewing
Newly Registered

ACW wrote:don't worry,
they will die away,and leave no problem.
My guess is the fungus are associated with the wood bits in the soil .
the fungus may return next year ,but its a sign of good things going on in the soil !
So I should just leave them there? I would think I should at least remove them from the soil?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Like ACW said, "No worries". I've had that off and on over the years. Usually from wood chips or straw. You could knock them down with a hoe, but you really don't need to bother.

If they were Garden Giant, I would help them along. :)

Eric

SeansBrewing
Newly Registered

Thanks for the help guys.

Funny, I went back to the garden about an hour after posting this and the sun was hitting the plants and the fungus were all gone. Just small traces of where the sun baked them away. I guess I just got up earlier this morning than normal... I wonder if this fungus is there every morning?

Sean

MrBoZiffer

Does anyone know what kind of mushrooms these are? I had the same ones pop up this morning and the sun already killed them. I'm curious if they are poisonous so I can make sure my dogs stay away. Thanks!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Assume that they are poisonous.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Congragulations! When you have that type of fungus showing above ground, it means the mycelium (roots) are converting organic materials below ground into nutrients for your garden.

While very few varieties of mushroom are poisonous or hallucinogenic, it isn't worth taking a chance if you can't identify them. Most varieties simply taste horrible, but are not harmful.

Ted

soil
Greener Thumb

be thankful you have a living soil, but do not eat them unless you know EXACTLY what they are.

MrBoZiffer

Thanks all! :)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

1., Some mushrooms are yummy, 2., many taste like the south end of a north-bound horse, 3., some mushrooms, we're not sure how they taste, nobody has survived long enough to tell us.

Its those last buggers from collumn three that will rightly get you advised to not try to eat what you cannot identify. :)

What you can see with the naked eye are the fruiting body of mycellium. It is a valuable component of the micro-herd you want working in your garden. Its abscence in your garden is a bad thing.

If mushrroms are unsightly, and you've been watching too much Martha Stewart, picking & composting them may be a good thing... :lol:

runner1212
Cool Member

Mushrooms are highly sought after by deer.I have found deer in patches of mushrooms already,I was nearly charged when approaching,it was the first time I saw a deer scoop his hooves like a bull :)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, they are a good sign.

I get those same ones in an area of soggy mulch by the hose spigot (that's why it's soggy). Is your garden draining well?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”