Delight C Cotton
Newly Registered

Growing a Fall veggie & herb garden in Arizona

8)
This is the first year I am attempting to grow a garden in the Fall/Winter season in Arizona.
1) I've planted okra and the plants are only about 6-8 inches high and actually have an okra or two on them, but all the leaves are falling off and the plant is a stick with an okra on it. What could be the problem?
2) I also planted bell pepper plants and it would seem that each new leaf is getting chewed up .. almost before it come out .. I've hosed off the plant, I've sprayed it with a solution of dish detergent & ammonia and still the leaves look chewed up. What could be the culprit?
3) Also, I've planted purple sage .. three times now .. it it keeps dying. What could I be doing wrong.
4) and my newly planted marjoram .. planted twice .. also keeps dying.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

If you live in the valley I think you planted too early.

My parents live in Tempe AZ. They have 28 degree temperature in the winter but it is usually warmed up to 65-70 degrees F by 11 am and stays like that all day. They plant tomatoes, beans, squash, bell peppers, last week of February. If your planting a garden now you might be ok with cold weather crops. I lived there for 6 years the soil is very poor it needs organic material and fertilizer added.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”