bwhite829

I was wondering how greens and other veggies reproduce. I've never seen them flower or anything, but now I know. If I wanted to get them to continue to do that, how would I do that and how would I then harvest the seed for the next crop?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

You have had "bolted" broccoli and cauliflower, BWhite. The flower buds are what we think of as the vegetable part of the plant. It would be perfectly fine for you to harvest and use the leaves as broccoli and cauliflower are growing if you want to. Once the plant begins to bolt, those leaves probably become too coarse for kitchen use.

Those plants along with mizuna, arugula and watercress are members of the Brassica family. Some members, like cabbage and kale, may take 2 seasons to flower and go to seed. I really don't know how things grow in Florida gardens. I've only been a visitor there :) .

I am surprised how long it takes radish to mature seed and I usually grow some for that purpose every year. (Also, for the purpose of eating those tasty seed pods, harvested at just the right moment of tenderness. :wink:) By comparison, arugula seems to set seed at a couple months of age! Maybe that's why it is also known as "rocket."

With radish, mustard, bok choi -- I just drive a few stakes near plants that I want to save for seed. Then, I can tie the stalks to the stakes - otherwise, they tend to flop over. Overall, your garden can look a little like it has "gone to seed" if you do too much of this sort of thing :roll: .

As I say, it takes nearly a full 5 months to get radish and such to harvest. I then cut the stalks and put them somewhere under a roof but open to the air to finish drying. The stalks then go on a tarp and I walk on them, to thresh out the seed.

You can separate out most of the coarse stuff quite easily. If there's more debris that you want out of the seed - I find that standing on a ladder and dumping the seed back down on a tarp, while there's a bit of a breeze works good . . . of course, you may make a mess out of your lawn if you've got very much to do :wink: .

Steve
[img]https://i38.tinypic.com/mhdl5l.jpg[/img]

bwhite829

I was at my grandparents today. I noticed a few okras still on the tree. they explained that he is just letting them dry out and he was collecting the seeds. Is this a similar concept? Thanks for the info :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I suspect so.

What I know about okra is next to nothing . . .

S' :roll:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”