The Bearded Farmer

Late season radish!

Just harvested my fall radishs yesterday 8) . Planted Champion and French Breakfast. They all turned out nice, got about 50 in all and there are still about 50 or so in the bed.

[img]https://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r156/alf00amf/107_2069.jpg[/img]

Some of the champions have a split in them. What causes this? My thought is that I'm either harvesting too late or I should have tilled the soil better to loosen it more. Any thoughts??

[img]https://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r156/alf00amf/107_2072.jpg[/img]
Sunny Suburbia Garden
Eastern PA
Zone 6/7

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Nice harvest!

I've had icicle radishes last all the way into November.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I think the splitting is caused by getting a good wetting after they have been a little dry. They swell so fast with water that they split. Try to keep radishes damp at all times for best performance.

Nice harvest!
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

The Bearded Farmer

Your probably right Jal. We had 3 days of constant rain about a week before harvest, I did notice they got big really fast towards the end. These were in for about 38 days.
Sunny Suburbia Garden
Eastern PA
Zone 6/7

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've experienced that, too, when there was a lot of water going into the soil. "Consistency" really seems to be the word when it comes to growing radishes.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”