Cerbiesmom

How cold is too cold?

I live in texas, I hate the cold. We're getting a cold front, and the low is 44 tomorrow night. Do I need to protect any garden plants? I've got beans, tomatoes, greens, soybeans, lettuce. I think the only things that won't like that low would be the tomatoes and the beans, right? All the greens/lettuce should be fine if I remember right. This is my first winter with the garden, and I'm so pleased with how well everything is growing right now. I really want everything to make it through.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I'm trying to think if there's anything I'd be the least concerned about, Cerbiesmom . . . uh . . .

I recently read that pumpkins should not be subjected to growing temps below 50°F. Well, that would mean that I'd have to harvest them mid-August . . . It is a storage issue and, I suppose more of a concern for commercial growers. Still, pumpkins are grown around here on what few truck farms there are. And, my pun'kins look just fine for Jack o'lantern use, real soon.

Basil might turn black! That's a risk. If it goes lower than 44°, your melon vines may start going downhill.

. . . all I can think of.

Steve

soil
Greener Thumb

my tomatoes and other plants just took a nice chilling 34 last night, there fine.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

You should be fine with those crops and that temperature. I had lettuce survive about 3 days of below freezing temperatures in New Orleans last fall but the tomatoes had to be taken green. But that was below freezing, not 44 degrees.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You will be fine. Though the so called "warm weather plants" like it warm for optimum growth, I have never seen anything damaged until it actually freezes. That happens at 32° F. Peas, lettuce, carrots and all the cole crops have some frost resistance.

Cerbiesmom

Thanks. My version of cold is usually vastly different to other people's. Just wanted to double check. Thanks again.

Neighborhood Gardening

Cold for some veggies is better. I find the taste and texture of endive or escarole in Jan to be the much better that iceberg or leaf lettuce in the summer.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”