jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Potato-- Potatoes

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/seed_tater.jpg[/img]

I may have shown you this potato in the spring when I planted it. As you can see it is a pretty good sized tater with several sprouts. Here is what it made:

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/taters2010.jpg[/img]
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Looks like some good eatin' to me! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

garden5
Super Green Thumb

A 1700% return on investment......not bad!

Do you always just plant the whole potato? Most folks cut out the eyes into separate pieces. I wonder which works better.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

This was an experiment. No, I don't usually plant the whole potato unless it is walnut sized. I usually cut the potatoes to leave one or two eyes per piece. Each eye will send up a vine. You will, as a rule, get larger potatoes if you only use one eye and hence one vine per spot. If you plant the whole potato, you get more vines, more potatoes, but the yield is not necessarily more in weight because they will be smaller potatoes. At least this is what my experiments have shown. For my main crop this year, I planted two eyes per piece and the yields were great. I got some really nice potatoes. (Pix in another post)
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

garden5
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:This was an experiment. No, I don't usually plant the whole potato unless it is walnut sized. I usually cut the potatoes to leave one or two eyes per piece. Each eye will send up a vine. You will, as a rule, get larger potatoes if you only use one eye and hence one vine per spot. If you plant the whole potato, you get more vines, more potatoes, but the yield is not necessarily more in weight because they will be smaller potatoes. At least this is what my experiments have shown. For my main crop this year, I planted two eyes per piece and the yields were great. I got some really nice potatoes. (Pix in another post)

I love experiments like this.

It looks like we can conclude that you will get a way better yield from the same amount of vines if you space them out rather than crowd them.

I've seen your other pics and from the looks of things, two per spot seem to be pretty good.

How far do you space your pieces? A foot give or take?
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

A foot give or take? That pretty much covers it. I don't actually measure but that is close.

When cutting potatoes for planting, you will notice that there are several eyes scattered around the whole potato, but on one end there is always a concentration of eyes. It is hard to cut this group out with just two eyes on a piece, because you run out of potato, so one or two pieces from each potato has from 3 to 5 eyes on it. No biggie. They all do well.

I should also mention that I like to have a piece of potato as big as a walnut for planting. The chunk of potato gives the sprout food and energy until the leaves appear. When planting a whole potato it is not unusual to get 12 or more vines from that potato. As I have already mentioned, if the vines are not so crowded they will give you larger potatoes.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:
I should also mention that I like to have a piece of potato as big as a walnut for planting. The chunk of potato gives the sprout food and energy until the leaves appear.
Thanks for that tip. I've wondered on occasion why you would want a large piece of potato attached to the eye. For some reason, I was under the impression that it would just rot faster/worse :?.

What you say now makes perfect sense :)

Runningtrails

Gooo harvest and info! I didn`t know that about the smaller potatoes. Looks like your frost free dates are about the same as mine.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”