Avonnow
Green Thumb

Pepper question - all types

All my peppers are starting to produce, and many plants have one or two that the pepper is deforrmed ( I can live with that) but they also have what appears to be a zipper running down them from the stem. It is just a brown ragged area and it reminds me of a zipper - is this a deficiency, or too much of something. anybody know what causes the deformity and brown zipper like line. It is on bell and cubanos and some Red Patio peppers, so I am thinking I over did or under did something. Thanks Again in advance for your advice. No insects that I noted on any of plants, I have cut into the peppers and they appear normal. Just curious what I did wrong. :)

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Occasionally I see that zipper on one of my peppers. I think it's scar tissue where the pepper suffered a flesh injury. I blame either the wind or bugs for it.

Regarding the deformities, I had a bunch of chilies grow all warped and curled one year. I later found that some kind of a spider was causing it, probably by biting them at a certain spot. It would then spin its nest in the crooked area. That happened to my NuMex Big Jims this year. I saw one of the spiders take off when I was picking them. It was the size of a large pea and kind of whitish.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”