farmerlon
Green Thumb

I grew the Sweet Havana hybrid Pepper this year, and it has been added to my "must have" list...
[url]https://henryfields.com/product.asp?pn=73883&bhcd2=1287532009[/url]

It's like an elongated Bell Pepper, and it has what I can only describe as a very mild heat that you would not expect in a "sweet" Pepper... great on pizzas and sandwiches; and a nice size and shape for stuffing.
I shared this Pepper with a lot of friends and family that don't like hot peppers, and they loved the Havana!

csvd87

The Sweet Cayenne is a productive plant with no punget slim up to 12" pods, great for frying, delicious, as for neat plants, try the Aji Omni Colour or maybe Numex Twilight, Filius Blue is a cool plant(as long as you don't kill it with overwatering) Black Pear is a really cool plant, with almost black foliage and little marble sized black peppers that mature to red. here is my list for next years porch container garden :)

Aji Brown
Black Pearl
Bonnet-Bell F3
Brazilian Starfish
Bhut-Bell F3
CAP 1478
Chocolate Beauty
Chocolate Fatali
Cayenne (Long Slim Variety)
Cajun Belle F1
Fidalga Vermelha
Filius Blue
Fooled You Jalapeno
Italian Pepperoncini
Jalapeno
Piri Piri
Peruvian White Habanero
Sweet Cayenne
Short Yellow Tobasco

I'll see which ones do well... :)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

csvd87 wrote:The Sweet Cayenne is a productive plant with no punget slim up to 12" pods, great for frying, delicious, as for neat plants, try the Aji Omni Colour or maybe Numex Twilight, Filius Blue is a cool plant(as long as you don't kill it with overwatering) Black Pear is a really cool plant, with almost black foliage and little marble sized black peppers that mature to red. here is my list for next years porch container garden :)

Aji Brown
Black Pearl
Bonnet-Bell F3
Brazilian Starfish
Bhut-Bell F3
CAP 1478
Chocolate Beauty
Chocolate Fatali
Cayenne (Long Slim Variety)
Cajun Belle F1
Fidalga Vermelha
Filius Blue
Fooled You Jalapeno
Italian Pepperoncini
Jalapeno
Piri Piri
Peruvian White Habanero
Sweet Cayenne
Short Yellow Tobasco

I'll see which ones do well... :)
CS, I was just thinking about the Fillius Blue and how it would make a good addition to this list. Also, that black pearl sounds cool as well. Looking at your list, I see you plan on growing the buht bell. Have you tried this one before, I heard it doesn't have any heat :?.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

csvd87

i haven't grown the bhut-bell before. but since it's a hybrid. there is no telling what the heat will be like, but if it is on the milder side, great, because i ate one of my jalapenos and just about died. a pearcing lasting pain.

mansgirl

Thanks for all the great ideas. I think I definently will grow some poblanos, I was toying with it, but on the fence. I've read about the fish peppers too and am now definently going to do those too. I'll be pulling this thread up when I order my seeds!

Which leads me to another question.. Whats everyone's favorite website for ordering seeds?
"The earth laughs in flowers."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

lorax
Greener Thumb

I like [url=https://www.mcfayden.com]McFayden[/url] and [url=https://www.johnnyseeds.com]Johnny's Seed[/url].

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I like the selection at Tomato Growers Supply.

There are lots of little "mom and pop" pepper seed sellers for the really rare things.

I also like the Sample Seed Shop as a gardener run seed shop.

soil
Greener Thumb

anyone ever heard of this pepper before? grown it?

i think im going to buy some seed this winter for next season. i like the fact that on multiple websites they said it was cold hardy, two of them said below freezing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum_pubescens
For all things come from earth, and all things end by becoming earth.

csvd87

like the Rocoto? Heard of it yes, grown it no, but I want to, especially if they can live up to 15 years :) check [url=https://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=Any&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Pubescens&chile=1&submit=Search]The Chileman[/url] for some more varieties of the C. Pubescens

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I grew a couple last year, CAP 1492, and rocoto red. Neither one did very well for me early in the season so I didn't get any ripe fruit before frost. If I try them again I'll probably use large containers because peppers are hit or miss in my dirt.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:I like the selection at Tomato Growers Supply.

There are lots of little "mom and pop" pepper seed sellers for the really rare things.

I also like the Sample Seed Shop as a gardener run seed shop.
Remy at Sample Seed Shop is a special person.

Before she started selling, she sent me free seeds! Even this year, she was only charging $1 per packet for many of her seeds.

:)

Steve

garden5
Super Green Thumb

The Sample Seed Shop Looks interesting, I'll have to check them out.

I've found [url=https://www.reimerseeds.com/]Reimer Seeds[/url] to have a very good selection. Their customer service is not the best, and I did get some eggplant seeds that turned out to be tomatoes, but other than that, no other problems. Fast shipping as well. Also, they're usually good for a few more seeds per pack than what's stated, sometimes a lot more. It depends on what you order.

CS, that's some list you have given us. Every time I look at it, I find something else that piques my interest. This time, it's the white habanero.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

csvd87

And yet I still want to grow more... I tried the white hab in around june, i had 6 of 6 sprout, but i didn't get them past seedling stage, which was alright anyways, i won't have room to grow them overwinter anyways.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Before ordering from Reimers look through the internet for people's opinions. When I did that two years ago they were almost universally hated for their product and customer service as far as the rare peppers go. Germination rate was low to zero and Reimers blamed it on the customer's ability. That seemed to be mainly a pepper issue, not for vegetables in general AFAIK.

mansgirl

soil wrote:anyone ever heard of this pepper before? grown it?

i think im going to buy some seed this winter for next season. i like the fact that on multiple websites they said it was cold hardy, two of them said below freezing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum_pubescens
Is this the same thing as a Cherry Bomb? I know they're called lots of other things as well.. Cherry Peppers, Hot Bombs.. anyone know?

Are most of these recommendations for websites or do I need to order a catalog? I've found all of the peppers I'm looking for, but on a few different sites, I'd like to find one site with all the seeds I need so I can hopefully save on shipping.. Yup, I'm Dutch! : )
"The earth laughs in flowers."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Nope, not the same thing. Cherry Bomb and cherry peppers are Capsicum anuum just like jalapenos, bell peppers, cayennes etc.

Capsicum pubescense (generic names: rocoto, locoto) are not commercially grown in the US (AFAIK) so about the only way you'll find them for sale is from small seed companies (a.k.a. some guy) that grow their own.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”