sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

anyone do canning with those old wire bale jars?

because I have a bunch and I got the rubber rings to go inside and I failed. the rings kept moving on me when I put the lids on and I don't think they stayed in the right place. if I undo the clamp the lid pops right off and doesn't stay "sealed" it should stay sealed right? because of the rubber ring?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

It seems to me that I heard these are not preferable for caning. Also, [url=https://community.livejournal.com/food_storage/49118.html]here[/url] is a thread where it is mentioned that they are no longer considered safe.

However, [url=https://www.weckcanning.com/docs/facts.htm]here[/url] is a site that sells caning jars with a rubber gasket sea. They say they prefer this type of a seal since it will become loose if the canned good is contaminated, thus showing you if your caning job has spoiled.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sounds like the wires may be getting deformed. I bet you can find replacements...

HG

applestar
Mod

Did you use Hotwater bath or Pressure canning process?

I sometimes use Weck jars with rubber rings and metal clamps (which admittedly is a bit different from the wire bail mechanism). I like them because they have glass lids and not coated metal lids. (There's some ambiguity about what the coating is made of). And face it! They're charming :D

When I experimented with Weck jars, I found out that it doesn't stand up to Pressure canning. I think the metal ring apply even/constant support all around the rim and top edge of the lid against the glass but the rubber gasket and clamps result in unevenness and the rubber gasket warps out of position under the pressure. In any case, on second reading, the Weck directions said only Hotwater bath canning is recommended :oops: so that's what I use them for.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I did a waterbath.

you think the wires are deformed? I mean it is a nice tight fit.

so, if I undo the wire clamp thing the lid should stay suctioned to the jar, right?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

My grandmother used those, but only for certain foods, and she did not remove the wire bale.

Personally, I would only use them for dry storage, such as nuts or pasta, or as decorative containers.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

NO! Please sell those as antiques and buy some jars. That technology is not a good option anymore.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

If JAL sez newbies, you should probably go for newbies...

I find plain old screw top recycles from pickles or relish you've purchased work fine; I just put the lid on loose and it tightens up nicely in the water bath as you heat. I'm pretty cheap...

HG

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:If JAL sez newbies, you should probably go for newbies...

I find plain old screw top recycles from pickles or relish you've purchased work fine; I just put the lid on loose and it tightens up nicely in the water bath as you heat. I'm pretty cheap...

HG
Also a not-recommended technology. Please, for safety's sake, use the two-part lids: flat lid and screw-on band.

Thank you.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Can you say, Botulism.

Like Jim and Cynthia said, be safe, go modern. Listen for the pop. :D

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”