Avonnow
Green Thumb

pumpkins

:D I have two pumpkins plants growing - obviously they are not for Halloween, as they have yet to produce. I tried planting in July but the plants just didn't tolerate the heat here in Florida. :wink: I planted some small plants from the local nursery beginning of September. Other then a few worms, they look great, have tons of buds/flowers, but after two months no females, all males. The vines are each about 6-8 feet already. Using great compost and soil, do they need something else, or do they typically take longer to produce females :?: Thanks in advance.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Pumpkins typically take 190 days. You are into it about 45. Half way there. You should start seeing some fruit set on very soon. Have you noticed bees in the flowers? If not it may be good to hand pollinate them. They will send out some female blossoms when things are right. Its not a bit unusual to see loads of male blossoms first off.

Alfred

I would pinch the leaders out of those to stop them growing and encourage development,and when the male and female are produced pollinate by hand.
The trailing varieties can have the leaders pinched out when 50cm long.

keen gardener

Hi Avonnow
I am a professional gardener and pumpkins can be very frustrating. Pinching out the tips to encourage lateral growth is a good idea. Huge fluxuations in temperature can also upset the flower development process too. If you find that the little pumpkins start forming and then fall off it is because they aren't fertilised. If you haven't any bees in your garden plant lots of blue, yellow or red flowers to atttract them.

Also a hand ful of potash will help with the development of flowers.

Whoosp have a look at sandisgardenpatch, there is an article on why fruit doesn't develop.
Don't give up
Cheers Keen Gardener

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”