buckbuster

purple pea or bean

a guy I ran into was telling me about purple green beans????? sounds cool and it would make it easier to pick them, but I did a search and I couldnt find them. any one know of a purple pea or bean seed variety, and possible a person who sells them?
brad

ACW

CLIMBING FRENCH BEAN TRIONFO VIOLETTO
I get those from Seeds of italy UK , think there is a US arm of that company.
There are more than a few purple and yellow podded beans available ,and yes they do make harvesting easier !
Just been down to my back garden getting the penultimate beans from my blue lake climbing green beans and it was a case of circling and recircling the plants to pick all the big ready for the pot ones .

applestar
Mod

I can recommend Purple Podded Pole Beans.
I wrote a bit about it [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=157116#157116]here[/url], along with a mention of Yellow Pencil Pod bush beans, and linked to another thread with photos of the Purple Podded Pole Beans.

PPPB is a flat broad podded "Roma" type. Is the French one a French filet type or regular round pod type?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Scarlet Runner is another variety of purple bean. They also have red flowers.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Buck, I've grown the purple pole beans before and they look cool and, like you mentioned, easier to find on the vines. However, the ones I grew didn't remain purple when cooked. They turned green just like regular green beans when exposed to the heat of cooking. That first sight of them changing color really disappointed me a bit.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I grew the TRIONFO VIOLETTO pole beans this year, got the seeds from Pinetree. They didn't impress me until the last two months. July and August saw below average productivity on these, at least compared to the Blue Lakes, but September and October have them putting on beans like mad.

What's surprising me more is that they haven't frozen. We've dipped slightly below freezing on several occasions, enough to kill the cucumbers near them, but the beans look unfazed. In my experience, beans are the first to go. These fellows must be a hardier variety.

They are definitely a longer season variety because they didn't really start producing in earnest until the beginning of their third month. They're actually putting on new flowers, in mid-October Wyoming, for a fifth wave of produce!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”