Avonnow
Green Thumb

Yippee for the cooler weather in Florida

Well I was beginning to think I couldn't grow a THING. I planted everything under the sun this year and was mostly disappointed. I chalked it up to being new, and living in the Hot Zone, but the cooler weather has set in (Clarify - Florida cool) and alot of stuff is starting to Shine! Beans are growing, tomatoes, tons of peppers all kinds and butternut squash and eggplants and okra again - I am HAPPY. :D :D I do not feel like a total failure. For awhile I was tempted to rip everything out and go back to sod. So thanks to all who helped me and Yehaw, me and pa won't starve this winter! :lol:

jennsim

Thats great news Sherry! Hope you'll keep us updated on the progress
with pic's. :wink:
I'm trying okra this season, purchased one plant after seeing Jamie
Olivers USA road trip show here, the louisiana part of the show he
cooked with okra. Tried it in one of my casseroles very nice flavour,
so I let the plant go to seed, now have 20 odd seedlings gave away
a couple of pots to neighbours. Must tranplant to the garden, thanks
for the reminder :lol:

jenn

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Sherry, we got a break here in New Orleans last week with cool temps. but they didn't last long. It actually got down to the upper 50's overnight for a few days with daily temps in the mid 70's. It has been in the upper 80's, low 90's the past few days but the humidity has slacked off from summer steam bath numbers.

I transplanted some leafy greens for salad and they wilted for a few days but are making a comeback with frequent watering. Most everything else is doing fine with the exception of my newly built raised bed. I had seedlings come up but die off after a couple of weeks. I'll give it another shot once the cooler temps stay with us. That raised bed seems to need considerably more watering.

Gardening in the south is a pleasure this time of year, so enjoy yours like I enjoy mine.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

[quote="jennsim"I'm trying okra this season, purchased one plant after seeing Jamie Olivers USA road trip show here, the louisiana part of the show he cooked with okra.

Jennsim, 20 okra plants will do a good job in keeping you and a few friends in supply. I grow about 30 plants each summer and it gives me more okra than I can store or use without purchasing a new freezer. When in full swing, 20 okra plants can have you picking 30-40 pods a day in peak season and will grow to over 8 ft. tall. When I pulled mine a few weeks ago, some of the stalks were close to 3+ inched in diameter and required a good deal of muscled power to remove them from the rows. Okra is one of those plants that love heat and can survive in dry conditions when most other things are fading fast.

I'm from New Orleans and cook with okra a lot. Give me a shout if you run out of things to do with it---------maybe I can steer you in a good culinary direction.

jennsim

I'm from New Orleans and cook with okra a lot. Give me a shout if you run out of things to do with it---------maybe I can steer you in a good culinary direction.
Thankyou Gumbo2176, I better get planting then. :wink:

jenn

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”