tedln
Super Green Thumb

Eric,

You said the Muscovy ducks are the "meat" ducks. Do you prepare and consume them in the same way you would a chicken? Do you roast them? Will duck fry up like chicken? How do you consume them? Do they have a lot of fat? Many restaurants are deep frying in duck fat now. It is supposed to create a unique flavor in fried foods.

I noticed you called the Muscovy ducks "South American Perching Birds". When we lived in East Texas, We had an eight acre pond with a lot of Muscovy ducks. We didn't raise them, they were just there. My wife would put bird feeders on tall poles to prevent the squirrels from getting to the feeders. The Muscovy's would fly up to the feeders and perch to eat the bird food. Their weight would bend the feeders to the ground or break them off. The only thing that controlled the Muscovy population were the alligators in the pond. We had at least one twelve foot gator and a duck was just a snack.

Ted

Ted
I simply enjoy gardening!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

tedln wrote:Eric,

You said the Muscovy ducks are the "meat" ducks. Do you prepare and consume them in the same way you would a chicken? Do you roast them? Will duck fry up like chicken? How do you consume them? Do they have a lot of fat? Many restaurants are deep frying in duck fat now. It is supposed to create a unique flavor in fried foods.

I noticed you called the Muscovy ducks "South American Perching Birds". When we lived in East Texas, We had an eight acre pond with a lot of Muscovy ducks. We didn't raise them, they were just there. My wife would put bird feeders on tall poles to prevent the squirrels from getting to the feeders. The Muscovy's would fly up to the feeders and perch to eat the bird food. Their weight would bend the feeders to the ground or break them off. The only thing that controlled the Muscovy population were the alligators in the pond. We had at least one twelve foot gator and a duck was just a snack.

Ted

Ted
Jal, great tip about laying the wire on the ground. I've always heard to bury it, but your system sounds just as effective and a lot less labor intensive.

Ted, were you ever concerned that you had an alligator on you property :shock:. Maybe you southerners are just used to them. From what I hear, alligator really does taste like chicken.

That's the first time I've heard of ducks flying up to a bird feeder and perching on it.

This thread is proving to be quite interesting.:idea:.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Ted,

I roast duck just like chicken. I usually just rub a little salt and pepper on the skin. Then roast in a cast iron dutch oven. Sometimes I roast the bird alone or cubed potato, parsnip, carrot, sweet potato, etc ... Your favorite root vegetables.

The drakes of the egg laying ducks have / had quite a bit of fat, about 1/4" in the bottom of the dutch oven. This is my first attempt at Muscovy "duck"? I will have to get back to you on preparation and taste. I've read it's much leaner and is compared to roast beaf or veal.

I've read that there are wild muscovies in South, Central America and Mexico. Not sure if they have made it up into the States or not. The ducks you had were probably feral.

Here are some pictures and a videos of my ducks flying and perching.

Above the rabbit hutch
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC01682.jpg[/img]

Left corner of my shop
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC01466-1.jpg[/img]

Greenhouse roof
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC01543.jpg[/img]

Eric

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

and video. :D

https://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Dog%20Videos/?action=view&current=MOV02173-1.mp4

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”