hardland

A question about compost tea?

I have heard some very positive things about compost tea, mainly as a preventative treatment for the foilage of vegetable plants. I do not have a compost area in my yard, I will do soon though. The compost I add to my soil is composted cow manure. My question is, Is this safe to use as a foilage spray on my tomatoes and cucs etc? I added some to a bucket and then added twice as much water, left it for 3 days and it made a pretty clean tea on top. I sprayed it last night, but then it rained all night any how! I'm not sure of the difference between compost you make in your yard, with egshells, clippings, etc, etc and composted cow manure?

soil
Greener Thumb

the best compost to make compost tea is wormcompost. but regular compost will work fine. if using manure make sure the pile reached high temperatures when composting.

this thread has everything else you need to know.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17097&highlight=aerated+compost+tea

hardland

I buy composted cow manure from the hardware store. If I put a few cups in a bucket and add water, wait for 3 days, is the liquid on top a safe effective compost tea?

soil
Greener Thumb

well technically it is a compost tea, but not an aerated compost tea. which is what most people do and prefer( specailly with manure based composts). the added oxygen helps promote aerobic micro organisms( ones that breathe air )

go through that thread I'm sure you will learn a lot.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”