Kaffee
Newly Registered

Can you please help me save my late-start cucumbers?

Hello there,

I am new to gardening, and this is my first time to plant. I would like to eat my cuccies some day, but they have been about 3" long for the last 2 or 3 weeks; they had a late start in, but this is the Pacific NW, and we were told by an avid gardener you can pretty much grow many things year round. I have had two go under so far, due to some sort of bugs, slugs, or something. At first I thought they were rotting, but I was wrong. How can I speed their growth, I was using Jobes, fertilizer and whatever it is that helps plants reproduce more. Flowering occassionally is all they do now. I have 3 cuccies still growing; how can I help them to grow more so that we can actually harvest and eat them? I don't want them to rot or go to the slugs like the others?
The rainy season is starting to begin and I know cold will be here soon. Please help me to save them. :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

So where are you neighbor. PNW is large. If you don't mind, add a little to your profile.

I would build yourself some low tunnels. Cover with plastic. It should extend your season by a couple weeks if not a month. :)

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Metal%20Work/DSC01620.jpg[/img]

These are low tunnels in my brothers garden.

Eric

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

kaffee, what variety cucumbers did you plant? There are many that get between 7-12 or more inches long and 2 1/2 inches round and are good for slicing. Then there are those designed for pickling that stay much smaller in both length and diameter. Check your seed packet if you still have it to see what variety you put in the ground.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Low tunnels sound like your best best. You could also take some milk jugs, fill them with water, paint them black, and place them inside your tunnels. They will absorb heat during the day and radiate it out at night, thus adding more heat.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”