greg1186
Cool Member

antique garden related object! some questions

I was at a flea market today and I love antiques... I found a small box labeled farmrite nicotine sulfate. it has a small bottle with a label on it and a direction paper inside. on the box it explains many uses anywhere from...killing lice on chickens, for use on vegetables, shrubs, flowers, fruits. for killing leaf-hoppers, aphis, and most species on thrips.

the man who sold it to me said it was from the 40's. its in really great shape and I like it!

can anyone tell me more about this stuff? anyone have experience with it? I know the US government has banned it probally for good reasons.. there are quite a few skull and crossbones on the packaging saying POISON.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

According to this info sheet at Colorado State (https://www.colostate.edu/Dept/CoopExt/4dmg/VegFruit/organic.htm), nicotine sulfate is "highly toxic to mammals" and can be absorbed through the skin! :shock:

However, under certain controlled circumstances, *modern* formulations are acceptable.

Farmrite was a company of the '40s whose name was changed in the '50s: https://lebsea.com/OurHistory#Company and changed yet again later.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Lately, I've been reading and researching Victory Garden books from the 1940s to the present.
I always find it interesting to see suggested pesticides in the older books. Nicotine Sulfate and Diazinon are just a few that have been taken off the market, for very good reasons I'm sure. :shock:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Diazinon are just a few that have been taken off the market, for very good reasons I'm sure.
Diazinon, I remember my dad mix this, in granular form, under all his transplants. He aslo sprinkled some powder on the leaves. Not sure what that was. :(

Diazinon - Identification, toxicity, use, water pollution potential, ecological toxicity and regulatory information

https://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Chemical.jsp?Rec_Id=PC35079

Eric

thanrose
Greener Thumb

I'm not one for censoring, but I read a text from the 40's on tree surgery that recommended DDT in some applications, and referred to certain trees with some very negative appellations. Since it was in a city library, I told the librarian why I was concerned. I don't think the book was removed from circulation, mostly because tree surgery is not such a high demand subject.

It might be hard to find DDT, but the racial epithets are in use today.

Sometimes we have to consider the context, I guess. Still kinda hard to swallow.

I'd be tempted to keep the old nicotine bottle intact with as much content untapped as possible. That would probably add to any resale, but also make it a more interesting artifiact.

mansgirl

Ah Diazinon.. I know this stuff is terrible, but it does such a good job keeping Earwigs out of the house. I remember when I was a little girl I couldn't wait to see that big beautiful bucket of Diazinon come home. Our house had been built in the 70's in an old creek bed with a wooden basement. Earwig HEAVEN. Think checking under the toilet seat before you used the bathroom. The much earth friendlier solution was to lift the house and pour a concrete basement which we did after the Earwig infestation finally drove us all crazy! ; )

Every time I find an Earwig in the house I feel nostalgic for that nasty chemical. ; )

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”