amymanning
Newly Registered

Is there such a thing as indeterminate and determinate potat

Harvested my potatoes yesterday and noticed that there were big differences in the way that different varieties grew. Some potatoes grew straight up the vine, all the way up to the soil line, even after hilling them up two feet! Others grew laterally, and the hilling didn't seem to make as much of a difference to them. I'm on a mission to find out if there really is such a thing. Knowledge as to which varieties are which could be highly useful to the home gardener.

Can anyone on this forum shed light on the issue? I've posted this question on several forums as well as on my blog.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

It's possible--but I've never looked into it--that you're observing a difference in the way waxy potatoes grow vs. starchy ones.

Or fingerlings vs. full-grown?

Good observation, though! I'm sure we'll both learn something on this thread! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Very interesting. Hilling is a bit of work and may not be need for some varieties. All tubers need to be kept covered or they will turn green.

Jim ( jal_ut ) and his son probably can answer this one.

Eric

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Yes, most popular varieties act as short stolon determinants so that 1) they all form in the standard sized row hill, and 2) so the farmer can harvest a field full of same sized potatoes. He can kill off the vines early if he wants the tubers to be smaller.

Obscure/old fashioned/near to wild type, long season varieties are your best bet for "indeterminant" tuber formation. Newer varieties have been heavily selected for standardization.

The Kenosha potato project is looking into "indeterminant" varieties that give beter results in deep "boxes". You might find some answere there.

https://www.kenoshapotato.com/

https://www.curzio.com/N/PotatoCatalog.htm

Seems like deep hilling of indeterminants would be something you don't want to do because of the extra work.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Good insights, TZ.

I want to get into growing some potatoes next year, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread :wink:.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”