Urban_Garden
Cool Member

Cauliflower not producing heads?...

I planted my cauliflower in early spring and expected heads before summer set in, but I didn't thanks to early heat. So I left it alone all summer and as fall sets in it is getting very leafy.

Is there anything I can do to get them to produce heads?

AkeenGardener

Probably depends on where you are in the world. My experience with caulis in the uk, is that they like solid ground around them and if the soil is too rich,they make a lot of leaf but don't form a head. If there is no sign of a head and they have been in for months, use them as greens as I doubt they will form heads now.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Not sure. Most cauliflower mature 60 to 90 days and you are twice that. Maybe like akeengardener said, "to rich of soil" To me this means to much nitrogen. Also maybe deficiency in the P and K.

Eric :?

akeen, what do you mean, when you say "solid ground"?

keen gardener

Hi Urban Gardener
Have you checked the pH of your soil? Cauliflower like a pH between 6-7. If it is only the acidic side, then you could add some lime and if it is really high on the alkaline side, suggest you add some sulphur.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to this crop, but next time also incoporate less nitrogen and some potash which encourages flowering. Are you planting them at the right time of year? They need a cold snap to form a good head.

Would also practice crop rotation and not plant them in the same spot again for at least 4 years.

Cheers Keeen Gardener

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”