digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Are these Good Competition for World's Ugliest Vegetable?

[img]https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/ugliestvegetable.jpg[/img]
Celeriac

microcollie
Green Thumb

They're indeed mighty ugly, but celeriac is one of my favorite fall root vegetables...great in soups, stews, eaten raw, etc. Mine are waiting to be dug this weekend.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Yes. Those are the ugliest vegetables I have ever seen. However, if you scrub them up a little, I think you could donate them to the local softball league, so they are at least functional :lol:

BTW, what are they? Celeriac? Never heard of it.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I usually just call them "Celery Root," Stella.

They are the same genus and species as celery. I suppose one could use the stalks but they are rather small and fibrous. The leaves should be fine for flavoring things.

I really like the starchy roots. Added to potatoes and mashed . . . oh, so good!

Steve

PS it takes a lot of paring to clean the roots - keep your compost bucket handy!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I've used celery root/celeriac in my Christmas dinner roasted root vegetables for years and years. I hand-slice/wedge carrots, beets, onions, garlic (just split the cloves off the head of garlic; do not peel), parsnips, celery root, rutabaga, Yukon Gold potatoes, and place them in a 9" x 13" sheetcake pan prepared with olive oil and powdered rosemary. Sprinkle a little salt (or not) over them.

I haven't had luck growing it, but the produce market across the street always has tons during the winter.

Usually, no one knows what the celeriac is until they've eaten it and can't place it. No one has *ever* said Yuck. They've all loved it. :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Cynthia,

In England, they prepare the same roasted vegetable dish on holidays. They use parsnip instead of celery root and use some burgundy or other fruity red wine to make a vegetable sauce.

Ted

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I've never eaten them raw :shock: but we also roast them and do 1 or 2 other things.

Celery Root and Friends:

[img]https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/Autumno8004.jpg[/img]
it's soup!

S'

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”