hardland

Not sure what this bug is on my cucumber plants?

Does anyone know what this is?

[img]https://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/valuemet/cucbugsep10.jpg[/img]

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Lady Bug larva

ETA: [url=https://biology.clc.uc.edu/graphics/taxonomy/animals/arthropoda/insecta/coleoptera/ladybugs/JSC%200005%20Ladybug%20larva.JPG]Lady Bug larva[/url]

hardland

So that is a good thing? Will do no harm to my cuc plants, right? I assume they will turn into lady bugs and eat the mites etc. Sorry, I;m new to all this.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

They are a "good thing," Hardland.

In fact, I'd bet the larva eat far more plant pests than the adults.

Steve

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Yep! Totally safe. They are already eating bugs as we type. :()

ACW

They are excellent , on my balcony ants had started farming aphids on a Zucchini plant ,moved the pot and let a couple of these loose ,aphids all gone in a couple of days !
Zuchini much happier!

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I saw these too and shooed them away and went to the library to get books to see what they were (there were scads of them) and of course the books did not have any pictures the plants were looking horrible from aphids, so I tore them out. - I feel like a dufus. :shock: They may have solved my problem. Live and learn I guess. :wink:

hardland

Avonnow wrote:I saw these too and shooed them away and went to the library to get books to see what they were (there were scads of them) and of course the books did not have any pictures the plants were looking horrible from aphids, so I tore them out. - I feel like a dufus. :shock: They may have solved my problem. Live and learn I guess. :wink:
You don't need the library when you have this forum!!! I just noticed my member status and it says "cool member" others say "full member" what does that mean? Anyone...

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Yes I do love this forum and am glad I found it. Hey I want to be a COOL MEMBER, 8) of course there may be various reasons I didn't make that group. Honestly, Not sure what those mean. :?:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

It is based on your posting number.

Avonnow, 20 more to go. :wink:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Avonnow wrote:I saw these too and shooed them away and went to the library to get books to see what they were (there were scads of them) and of course the books did not have any pictures the plants were looking horrible from aphids, so I tore them out. - I feel like a dufus. :shock: They may have solved my problem. Live and learn I guess. :wink:
I have to say that the cute little Ladybug starts out life as a fairly, horrid-looking larva :shock: . Kind of like little alligators or monsters or something, aren't they?

The Lacewings like to flock around the backdoor light on summer nights. I really had to unlearn my tendency to bat them away going in and out the door!

:roll: Steve

applestar
Mod

That, as already ID'ed, is a very good photo of a ladybug larva. :D
Check out [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=335]this sticky on Benefician Insects[/url] in Organic Insect and Disease Control forum. 8) :wink:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”