stella1751
Greener Thumb

Variety Name List: Just for Fun

I was goofing around and ran across the Federal Seed Act, which sets forth truth-in-labeling restrictions on both garden and agricultural seed. This led me to the Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) which is responsible for assuring compliance to these truth-in-labeling restrictions. The AMS led me to the Seed Regulatory and Testing Branch (STRB), which, in addition to performing testing of seeds for the AMS, also maintains a Variety Name List. And who said our government over-complicates things?

That let me to what I sought: [url=https://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams.fetchTemplateData.do?template=TemplateN&navID=VarietyNameList&rightNav1=VarietyNameList&topNav=&leftNav=FairTradingRegulations&page=SeedTestingVarietyNameList&resultType=&acct=lsgeninfo]Variety Name List[/url]. My mind was boggled, so I decided to share this with everyone.

For peppers alone, there are 66 MS Word 2007 pages of varieties. I kid you not. This is a just-for-fun posting, btw. I tried to actually scan all the varieties of peppers, and I only made it to page 5 or 6 :shock:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Stella, have you seen this:

[url]https://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/wehner/vegcult/vgclintro.html[/url]

It doesn't have 66 pages of peppers, perhaps. In fact, I often don't find a variety that I am aware of but don't know anything about. Still, there's a lot on this NCSU site.

Steve

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Thanks, Stella and DigitS for the great resources. My head is now spinning with varieties that I want to learn more about :).

stella1751
Greener Thumb

This could not be cooler, Steve; thanks! Yours is considerably more legible and interesting than mine. Who would think there would be that many varieties? I suppose many of them are different brand names for the same variety, but, still . . . Wow.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”