cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Starting the Fall Garden - question

So I have finally pulled the last of the spring garden items out. Including my watermelons which were kinda puny and small...

For the fall I am going to be planting some spinach, bok choy, lettuce, garlic and whatever else I can fit and sounds good.

Its been 100+ here for the past few days so I havent started planting, figured the heat probably wasnt the best. And I wanted to check with you all what fertilizers or nutrients should I put in my garden to rejuvenate it after the crowed spring garden I had.

My garden is 6'x6' and 12" deep. It was FULL and I am sure its been pretty drained of nutrients at this point. I just don't want to plant alot and have it all not grow or produce. I have a container full of compost that I will be adding to the soil, just looking for all of your good advice that you always give!
Thanks!!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

We like composted manure tilled in. We also have 2 huge 50 year old oak trees out front. they make a TON of leaves. We chop them up with the lawnmower then spread them over the garden, but we don't till them until spring. Contemplating no till this spring...just not ready to jump right in. Maybe we'll do a small experimental portion of the garden this way. We have already tilled for fall so...

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Ok well sounds like I am on the right path with the compost, and I can always get manure at the local nursery. I will go that route!!

Wasn't thinking broccli... however the kids love it, so it might be a good idea!!! I could plop a couple in there... :)

Thanks for the advice!!! Hoping it cools off soon so I can get out there!!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

With heat like that I would suggest starting some indoors. What you are wanting to plant just will not germinate in that heat.

Though it could be a Johnny come lately type thing. And sprout out of the blue. Had that happen this year. Planted fall lettuce too early most didn't sprout but some are finally emerging. I have starters going inside, I also keep going out and sowing over and over till things start sprouting. They are coming around now that is finally cooler.

Sorry didn't read it all right. Seems like you aren't planting right now. But I do the manure/compost/grass/leaves mix it all in and go method, if it's organic it ends up in my garden.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”