ACW

Failing with Raab

Have been sowing Cima di Rappa ,germinates well and then goes skinny and leggy ,very popular with the pigeons and slugs .
Any tips or hints on growing ? Please!

Cerbiesmom

I can't help you; this is my first time growing broc. raab as well. I ruined my list of what I planted where, so I can't even tell you if mine germinated, lol. I just wanted to say good luck, and I'm sure somebody here will be able to help you.

microcollie
Green Thumb

I think it's one of those cool weather crops...I've only had luck with it in the early spring and fall (although fall here in New England often isn't long enough) Mine has always failed once the temps. hit 80 degrees F. Not sure if you still have time in London before the winter, but mine this spring took only about a month and a half from planting to harvest.

ACW

microcollie wrote:I think it's one of those cool weather crops...I've only had luck with it in the early spring and fall (although fall here in New England often isn't long enough) Mine has always failed once the temps. hit 80 degrees F. Not sure if you still have time in London before the winter, but mine this spring took only about a month and a half from planting to harvest.
Might give it another go tommorow,cant do any harm have plenty of seed and it will get me out of the house for a while , may well try some on the balcony ,the container zuchini is due to visit the compost bin so will have some space and the balcony suffers less from frost !

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Are you planting this inside? If so, you need to lower your light source so that it's closer to the seedlings. If you're not using lights, you should use a light, or move them outside once they sprout.

When plants get leggy, it has a lot to do with light. Try giving them a little something to boost the nitrogen a bit. Fish emulsion or a fertilizer of your choice. But keep it mild.

ACW

LindsayArthurRTR wrote:Are you planting this inside? If so, you need to lower your light source so that it's closer to the seedlings. If you're not using lights, you should use a light, or move them outside once they sprout.

When plants get leggy, it has a lot to do with light. Try giving them a little something to boost the nitrogen a bit. Fish emulsion or a fertilizer of your choice. But keep it mild.
sadly no greenhouse , most of my gardening is done in a tree and house shaded plot in an urban sprawl ,or on a balcony which gets full sun from midday onwards.
So you are saying light is vital ???

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Mid day on should be sufficient light to keep it from getting leggy. Maybe you could try growing them on the balcony until they get 3-4 true leaves, then transplant them. Give them a bit of compost tea or fish emulsion when they sprout, just make sure it's weak. When you transplant them, give them the same treatment but regular strength. A little bit of diatomaceous earth sprinkled around the plant and on the plants should help with the slugs. Pigeons...maybe some plastic grocery bags tied onto sticks at different random heights throught the garden. That might help.

ACW

Sowed a few rows in the sunniest part of the garden , a space that had potatoes in until a fortnight ago .
Hope they do ,if not its only a few pennies worth of seed !
Damp and cool ,so germination may take a week or more.
Not seen the sun at all since the weekend !

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”