gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It's Bean a good day in the garden today.

Get it "bean" a good day. :lol: Thank you, thank you I'll be here all day. :lol: :P

Did some bean harvesting not to shabby. I pulled a few plants they were looking ragged. I have been getting beans for a few weeks. When pulling some of the beans I found a bunch of onions and garlic that have somehow decided it was time to come back. Score!!!!!

Here are the beans, don't ask what they are. I just threw a bunch of seed down a while back and walked away. Ruth would be proud. :wink:

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC04179.jpg[/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'd say score! but your bean joke :P hehe

It's bin laden beans growing here to. Oh, that was bad!

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02644.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC01097.jpg[/img]

Eric

applestar
Mod

Ha ha. :roll: :wink:

My regular beans didn't do so well this year for some reason, but the California #5 Blackeyeds are producing prodigiously. Since so many folks have recommended Purple Hulleds, I'll try those next year, and try a different variety of Scarlet Runners, Eric, after seeing yours. Is it Scarlet Emperor from Territorial? Did I ask already?

Only trouble with the C#5 is that they are getting what appears to be aphids -- black looking but squishes red. They cluster around the stem end of the bean pods where you would grasp to harvest... And very big ants, unlike the usual little bitty ants and what appears to be paper wasps and another small yellow striped wasps seem to be harvesting their honeydew. It's made me nervous enough --after being stung earlier this summer you remember --that I've missed most of the snap bean stage picking and am now harvesting the dried and fully mature green shelling beans.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

try a different variety of Scarlet Runners, Eric, after seeing yours. Is it Scarlet Emperor from Territorial? Did I ask already?
If you have, who's counting. :)

This years crop was from saved beans from 2009. I had enough to sell zip lock bags of seed at the market. I think the original were from Territorial. Growing more traditional beans next spring. Customers thought the Scarlet Emporer runners were to fibrous. :?

Eric

Alfred

Scarlet Emperor seem to be very popular world wide, I have grown them when I was living in the UK,they also grow very well in New Zealand in fact they self sow, I had a great crop last year without having to sow any!

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I found green worms on my bean plant a few days ago. Even though they were about an inch long they were still hard to find b/c they blended in with the bean plant.

Once I noticed chewed leaves, I went into "seek and squish" mode. I found 4 worms the first day, 2 the second day and just 1 today. The 2 second day worms got it the worst....I plopped them on top of a fire ant mound.

Good times..

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”