tedln
Super Green Thumb

My fall garden.

I posted some photos the other day of my fall garden, but it was a hot, sunny, bright day. It was hard to take photos without deep shade or bright hotspots in the back ground. The past couple of days have been cool, cloudy, and moist. The light is perfect for taking some more pleasant photos.

My newly planted "Sweet Success" cucumbers are producing like crazy. This cucumber is almost fourteen inches long and when it fully fills out, it will be the same diameter from one end to the other.
[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2010%20Garden/9-25-10/IMG_2482.jpg[/img]

My fall onions are doing very well. The bulbs are just beginning to develop. We are eating some now as green onions.
[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2010%20Garden/9-25-10/IMG_2485.jpg[/img]

My yellow crook neck squash is doing well. I planted this bed about one week later than another bed. The earliest bed planted was attacked badly by SVB's. This bed wasn't. I guess the growth of the first bed happened to coincide with the second swarm of SVB moths. I have also planted more squash seed underneath these plants. As these plants wear out, the new plants should be ready for full sun light and I will pull the old plants and let the new plants grow and produce. In this photo, you can see some purple top turnip plants which have barely germinated. When the squash is gone after the first frost, the turnips will have grown for a winter crop.
[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2010%20Garden/9-25-10/IMG_2486.jpg[/img]

This bed is five varieties of tomatoes I have grown from cuttings of heirlooms which didn't produce in the spring. I already have blooms and some small tomatoes on these cuttings. They haven't germinated yet, but I also have carrots planted under the tomatoes. You can see a few sprouts of Swiss Chard. The bed should be heavy with chard, but the grasshoppers ate it about as fast as it germinated. With the cooler damp weather, the grasshoppers are gone.
[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2010%20Garden/9-25-10/IMG_2488.jpg[/img]

All of my beds are full of these tiny mushrooms which help to break down the compost and wood mulch into nutrients and micronutrients for my garden plants.
[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2010%20Garden/9-25-10/IMG_2490.jpg[/img]

For some reason, my eggplants didn't want to grow or produce in the hot weather this year. With the cooler weather, they are now blooming and producing.
[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2010%20Garden/9-25-10/IMG_2494.jpg[/img]

My mesclun salad mix is planted on both sides of my cucumber bed. I bought this seed mix in one of those five for a dollar seed packs at one of the Dollar stores this past spring. I have never grown a mix before, but it is beginning to look really good as a salad mix in a couple of weeks.
[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2010%20Garden/9-25-10/IMG_2497.jpg[/img]

How about some jalapenos. They are a smaller variety of peppers but they make up for it in quantity. Next year I will grow a stuffing size Jalapeno.
[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2010%20Garden/9-25-10/IMG_2499.jpg[/img]

I trimmed my ten foot tall tomato plants back even with the tops of the cages a couple of weeks ago. With the cooler weather, the have regrown almost all of the length I removed plus they bloomed and are setting fruit. They still have six to eight weeks to grow large before our normal first frost. I should have some large tomatoes this fall.
[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2010%20Garden/9-25-10/IMG_2502.jpg[/img]

The only thing you can't see in this photo is the twenty four foot long tomato/pepper bed at the back of the garden. It is full of cages for the tall tomatoes and peppers.
[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2010%20Garden/9-25-10/IMG_2503.jpg[/img]

This is my tomato/pepper bed, cages and all.
[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2010%20Garden/9-25-10/IMG_2504.jpg[/img]

Squash, onions, and tomatoes.
[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2010%20Garden/9-25-10/IMG_2505.jpg[/img]

Tha tha tha tha tha, thats all folks.
[img]https://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll308/tedln/2010%20Garden/9-25-10/IMG_2506.jpg[/img]

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Dang! :shock:

Half of the stuff you have growing have been long gone in my garden. Everything looks friggin wonderful though. :D Makes me wish I had more going but than I have to tell myself that the frost will be within a month.

As far as the fall onions, you are planning on harvesting this fall right? I was thinking about planting fall onions, but mine would be seed for next spring.

I am am totally envious of your setup bro. :oops: If only I had the room or more so the lack of complaining neighbors. :evil:

Avonnow
Green Thumb

All I can say is WOW :shock: , it is beautiful. I am so jealous. I have started seeding alot of my fall crop, but mostly have just Okra and Tons of Eggplant and Limas left over from summer - heck it is summer - this is Florida. Anyhow it is really quite nice - lovely photos. :)

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Yes Dono. The onions will be used this fall as green onions or medium sized bulb onions. I will plant a different variety in the spring. After this falls onion crop, I will know better what to do next year. I noticed back in late June or early July that the few onions which were overlooked and not harvested started sending new growth up from the dead leaves which had rotted away leaving the small bulb below ground. If I had planted new seedlings at that time, I know I could have grown large bulbs by fall.

This is really my first year to grow a fall garden other than just letting some plants continue growing from spring into the fall and first frost. The plants growing from the spring garden usually are not very productive in the fall without some special care like trimming the tomato plants back and forcing new growth to bloom and produce.

I did some of that this season plus I planted a lot of new plants for a fall garden. Right now, it is more productive with fewer problems than my spring garden. I was motivated this year by the fact that the spring garden was simply not very productive due to the early high heat. I simply didn't want to go into winter without having a productive garden.

I may wind up being a two garden man every year. If I do it next year, it will be better planned and better prepared. I know some years when the spring garden is very productive, I have pulled all the cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, squash and other things that I want for the year. I may not plant a fall garden even if I can.

There are a lot of crops which I can plant really early like peas and lettuce which produce an early spring crop. I can replace those plants with mid summer crops, and still plant a fall garden. I could have a triple crop garden. I don't like to look at my beds when they are not productive in some way.
Ted

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Avonnow, Thank you! How about posting some photos of yours.

Ted

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Looking good, Ted!

I see you're primarily a raised-bed gardener. How do you like this method. Why'd you choose it over a traditional in-the-ground garden? Pros-cons?

I'm kind of considering going the raised-bed route with my future gardens, but I'm not sure if I'm sold on it yet. Any first-hand experience with them is appreciated.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Ted, that's a great set-up you have. You have tons of trellises and I can see your feet don't get near as dirty as mine when working in those raised beds. I still garden the conventional way with rows but I did recently put in one nice raised bed measuring 12'x4'x1' and just this morning I see where little green things are poking their heads above ground. I can't wait till it all fills in. Are those recent pics? If so, your summer garden is still going like gangbusters.

Great job.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Great looking garden and plants !!!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:Looking good, Ted!

I see you're primarily a raised-bed gardener. How do you like this method. Why'd you choose it over a traditional in-the-ground garden? Pros-cons?

I'm kind of considering going the raised-bed route with my future gardens, but I'm not sure if I'm sold on it yet. Any first-hand experience with them is appreciated.
I've tried every method over the years with the exception of hydroponics. I think my favorite is container gardening because you can control everything including the weather. If your plants need sun, you move them into the sun. If you need shade, you move them to the shade. If the weather is to hot, you move them inside.

After many years, I decided to do raised beds because they offer control over everything but the weather. They require less maintenance. They are no more expensive to build than really large pots are to buy. They are easy to harvest. They warm earlier in the spring than ground soil. I really can't think of any downside. I guess I like the degree of control I have with raised beds.

Ted

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Wow, Ted. You have a gorgeous garden! I especially liked reading of your companion planting, the way you get the most out of each bed by planning ahead. Something else will be ready to step up to the plate by the time the current producers are tapped out.

That Sweet Success cucumber is one for the books. You have got to be the cucumber king in your area!

I think when I plan next year's garden, I will do so with an eye to your method of succession/companion planting. I've been avoiding root crops, but more and more I think I could squeeze at least some carrots or onions in one of my beds. I'll have to study it.

You wouldn't happen to know when people up north are supposed to plant onions, would you? That and some Bell peppers were the only produce I have had to buy this year. While I'm not as excited about growing Bells, I'm definitely thinking it's time to try some onions, which I've never done. Maybe I could squeeze one Bell plant in a hot pepper bed.

Another question: Are the trellisses permanent, or do you move those from bed to bed?

tedln
Super Green Thumb

gumbo2176 wrote:Ted, that's a great set-up you have. You have tons of trellises and I can see your feet don't get near as dirty as mine when working in those raised beds. I still garden the conventional way with rows but I did recently put in one nice raised bed measuring 12'x4'x1' and just this morning I see where little green things are poking their heads above ground. I can't wait till it all fills in. Are those recent pics? If so, your summer garden is still going like gangbusters.

Great job.
Gumbo, Thanks. With the exception of the Armenian cucumbers on the A frame trellis and the tomatoes in the long bed, my summer garden is long gone with the heat. Everything else is recently planted and grown for a fall garden. Under the squash plants, I already have the next generation of squash seed germinating. Under the tomatoes, I have some winter crops germinating and growing like turnips. Most of what I do, is simply try things. I rarely know if anything will work and produce if I don't try it. So many veggie plants are climate or season limited requiring specific daylight hours or minimum / maximum temps for a specific time. The squash for example will grow well from early spring to late fall, but do best if you can time their productive growth to occur between squash vine borer cycles.

Ted

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Stella,

All the trellis are easily movable with the exception of the A frame. I can move the T stake and string trellis in maybe ten minutes. The A frame would probably require less than an hour to move. I believe three long threaded bolts and a few long screws hold it together. I have thought about taking the A frame down and replacing it with another T stake trellis, but then I remember how well it performs providing shade for my spring lettuce. It allows me to have lettuce for about a month longer than my climate would allow otherwise.

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I would like to try some straight trellis this spring like you have. A frames work but they waste space. I tried growing lettuce under mine and the cukes wouldn't let them grow with all the shade.

Hispoptart

All I can say is WOW! Thats one good looking garden.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:I would like to try some straight trellis this spring like you have. A frames work but they waste space. I tried growing lettuce under mine and the cukes wouldn't let them grow with all the shade.
Gixx, You have to grow the lettuce almost grown before the cucumbers germinate. The cukes only shade the lettuce from the hot spring sun after the lettuce is ready to use. It only delays bolting by keeping the shaded area cooler.

Ted

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

That is quite amazing. Looking great. I have been hit twice by frost already. No use me worrying about a fall garden, unless I want to grow ice cibes. We are having a spell of unusually warm weather right now though.
Thanks for sharing.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Oh how I want your garden... that is so beautiful!!! And everything looks soo healthy!!!
My one question though is with so much growing and stuff germinating to come up after the other has died off, how do you keep your soil so healthy? And pulling up the squash, wont that disturb and possibly kill whats growing around it?
I ask because I am still pretty new at all this, and it fascinates me to see gardens like yours! Makes me want to get out in the back yard and do more!!

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:I have been hit twice by frost already. No use me worrying about a fall garden, unless I want to grow ice cibes.
Thanks for sharing.
Jal - we here don't know what a frost is at this point!! Its been over at or near 100 for the past 4 days!!!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

cherishedtiger,

I totally reworked the beds between my spring garden and fall garden. I used to turn my soil over with a shovel when I reworked it. I finally decided that was doing more damage than good, so now I simply add fresh soil and amendments on top of the existing soil. My beds are 10" deep and the two new beds are 12" deep. They typically drop about 2" each year from the organics decaying in the soil giving me plenty of room to add new soil/organics mixture to the top. I mix a 60% organics and 40% topsoil blend and it seems to give me plenty of nutrients.

I've read that squash plants develop deep roots. That hasn't been my experience. Mine develop shallow roots and are easy to pull without disturbing plants around them.

Many people believe you should cut the plant off level with the ground and leave the roots in the ground. They may be right, but I have always felt pulling them helps prevent pests attached to the roots from building up.

Ted

Alfred

Gosh that looks great!that must keep you busy but it sure looks worth it.

runfox
Cool Member

I added more mulch /manure mix and tilled it all in right before Labor day. Then planted the seeds.

This is the mix I get from a local garden supply. They call it mushroom scrapping, from a local mushroom grower. Its mulch mixed with manure, super rich. Without it my nutrient poor sandy Florida soil would not grow anything.
[img]https://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh144/Runfox/Garden%20and%20Chickens/CIMG0034.jpg[/img]

And then I till it in.
[img]https://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh144/Runfox/Garden%20and%20Chickens/CIMG0011.jpg[/img]

I planted Tomatoes,( cherry, Roma, and Bib Boy), Zucchini, yellow squash, Cucumbers, Romain and other salad mix, and strawberries.
I put down newspaper and pine straw between the rows, then added a bale of grass hay on top for weed control. Working well so far.
[img]https://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh144/Runfox/Garden%20and%20Chickens/CIMG00112.jpg[/img]
I have some strawberries coming already, cant wait ti try them.
[img]https://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh144/Runfox/Garden%20and%20Chickens/CIMG00122.jpg[/img]
So far everything is growing great. The mulch mixed with my sandy soil drains well and is super rich. And the garden is enjoying the cool fall weather as much as my wife and I are.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Alfred wrote:Gosh that looks great!that must keep you busy but it sure looks worth it.
Alfred, Thanks! Building the garden took some real labor. Tending the garden is a labor of love. I don't consider it work. The only work I am aware of when I am in the garden, is working off stress, worries, and anxieties.

I read your blog concerning your almost work free methods and basically agree with your methods except the self seeding.

I am curious if your blog is for a gardener who is generous enough to share his experiences or if it is simply a spam site with something to sell. I guess I will know if you reply to this post.

If your are simply a generous gardener, thank you very much.

Ted

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

As usual, I'm late to the party - but I have to agree...that's one fine looking garden, Ted!

Runfox - the way you're smiling in that photo, it sure must be some good stuff!

EG

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Runfox,

It is a beautiful garden. I will be remembering you with envy as you are harvesting through the winter while my garden lies cold, frozen, and lifeless with only anticipation to see me through the winter.

Ted

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Alfred,
March 19th, 2010 The Problem with Traditional Vegetable Gardening?
This article sounds like permanent culture to me. Permaculture. Using nature as your patterns. I'm doing less and less tilling and more polyculture. I, like tedln, don't allow much self sowing. With the beds covered with a permanent mulch cover, not sure if the self sowing would work.

One thing I would add to the article is, growing vegetables for your climate. We are constantly try to grow long season vegetables in a short season environment. Cool season crops in the heat of the summer. I am one of those gardeners. Greenhouse, hoophouses and row covers. I, we would save some much energy, following nature a little more closely.

Eric

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I always enjoy the occasional volunteer garden plant. It's just a little reminder that nature is much more important to me than I am to nature.

It doesn't make much sense for me to allow reseeding since most of my plants are hybrid with the exception of my tomatoes. I simply want a little more control over what will actually be produced. By placing the seed myself, I can better utilize my space.

Ted

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

It doesn't make much sense for me to allow reseeding since most of my plants are hybrid with the exception of my tomatoes. I simply want a little more control over what will actually be produced. By placing the seed myself, I can better utilize my space
Yes, that to.

My garden was about 90% open pollinated, so cross pollination is a issue also.

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”