SmallFrey Farms

Fences?? yay or neh

I've been thinking about taking the fence down from around my garden lately. Its just a standard garden fence with the green posts and the vynl coated wire fencing material. I'm not even entirely sure that its keeping out the critters.

So my question is do you have a fence?? Why or why not.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

My 7ft tall deer fence is saving hundreds of dollars per year. Have not crunch true numbers, but I bet the fence was paid for in two or three years.

I aslo will repeat myself, dogs are a big help also.

Eric

shadowsmom

DoubleDogFarm wrote:My 7ft tall deer fence is saving hundreds of dollars per year. Have not crunch true numbers, but I bet the fence was paid for in two or three years.

I aslo will repeat myself, dogs are a big help also.

Eric
Totally agree - I can't grow anything without a fence. Once the entire back of the house got fenced in my entire world changed! I moved plants from the front yard to the back yard and enjoyed their blooms for the first time.

I have 3 dogs, down from 5.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Instead of taking the fence down, why not put it to good use. You can plant cucumbers, sugar snap peas, vining green beans etc. along the fence and it will add vertical square footage to your garden. My back yard is fenced in by a 6 ft. tall metal fence and I can't imagine what my garden would look like if it were open to the neighborhood.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Using the fence as a trellis. I recommend that only the north fence be used. Don't want to cause shade, unless you are growing cole crops.

Eric

applestar
Mod

Eric has a good point. 8)

Now this is where you need to exercise your strategic planning skills.
If you plant cool weather crops in early spring, then plant things that will climb the fence and shade them AFTER it starts to get hot, it will help to keep them from bolting and to extend their season. You have to remember, though, that the sun will rise further north of East, HIGHER in the sky, and sets further north of West as the season approaches the mid-point -- the shade that is cast will become SHORTER. :wink:

SmallFrey Farms

I do occasionally use it but I also have an 8ft. tall 30ft.long trellis up against the house for vining crops.

I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to upgrade to all wood for looks reasons. Although the current setup isn't bad looking. Just doesn't always keep out the bunnies.

[img]https://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r156/alf00amf/HPIM1952.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r156/alf00amf/HPIM1950.jpg[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I don't have a fence, but that doesn't mean you should not. It depends on what kind of critters you have roaming around.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I've got to have my garden fence!

Song by Procol Harum, Words by Keith Reid

She wandered through the garden fence
and said, 'I've brought at great expense
a potion guaranteed to bring
relief from all your suffering.'
And though I said, 'You don't exist,'
she grasped me firmly by the wrist
and threw me down upon my back
and strapped me to her torture rack

And, without further argument
I found my mind was also bent
upon a course so devious
it only made my torment worse

She said, 'I see you cannot speak
is it your voice that is too weak?
Is it your tongue that is to blame?
Maybe you cannot speak for shame.
Or has your brain been idle too,
and now it will not think for you?'
I hastened to make my reply
but found that I could only lie

And like a fool I believed myself
and thought I was somebody else
But she could see what I was then
and left me on my own again

Ted

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Go to a farm supply store and get a rabbit fence or get some chicken wire with 1" holes and dig down a foot around your fence and burry part of it.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Well, that depends on what type of critters you have and how many of them you have.

For some of us, critter problems are either non-existent or else so minimal that they don't warrant the erecting of a fence.

On the other hand, animal pests are so bad for some of us that we couldn't garden without one.

I don't use a fence, though I do have deer the come through from time to time. They eat the peppers now and then, but I don't think the damage they cause me is great enough to justify the cost of a 7 ft. fence.

Canadian Farmer Guy

I've had 100% success with electric fence, great stuff.

CFG

heidischroeder
Newly Registered

I think you should leave your fence. Without a fence we have planted 1-2 rows of lettuce towards the edge to keep the rabbits happy and out of the rest of our garden. So far it has worked but it sure is depressing. Our dogs keep the deer away but recently the quail are coming in in droves and I think a fence might detract them from landing in the first place. We also have rattlesnakes that like to get shade/water in the garden on really hot days and it is not fun to hear those rattles. I have been reading about how flashing can be placed along the bottom of the fence creating a slide effect to keep the snakes out. All in all I think a fence would be great :D

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I'm a fan of fencing, not just for the four-legged critters but for the two-legged variety, too, but I don't have anything to add that the others haven't already said. However, I do want to say that you have very attractive garden. Big, too! Lovely!

AkeenGardener

my garden suffers from pigeon attack. No fence keeps them put, though the neighbours cat helps!

applestar
Mod

I remember someone else fromUK posting about pigeon problems. I believe the solution was wire strung across the airspace. Try the Search the Forum link in the link bar above.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I did it to protect my berries.

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/Garden%202010b/_DSC0045.jpg[/img]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”