danikami
Newly Registered

Ordering for next year!

Hello! I'm new here and have poked around a bit and just have a quick question.

I know that I could technically still be planting for THIS year but I'm 8 months pregnant and not quite up to it so I'd say the garden is done for the year. This has been my first year of gardening that's had any success at all ... although I still lost a LOT to wandering hungry animals.

Anyway, this year I want to plant from seed (last year I started quite late with seedlings) so I know I have to start pretty early. I live in zone 6A (Pittsburgh, PA) and don't think I can transfer outside until April or May. So I want to buy seed now since I'm due around Halloween and feel like I'll be too busy to buy seed then. I'm just wondering if it's too early to order it? Will it still be okay in January/February when I'm ready to start my wee little seed garden?

Any other advice to a newbie is highly recommended ... good websites and the like.

Thanks!!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I don't see where that would be a problem as long as you store them properly. If I have seeds left over, and I usually do, I'll keep them in their packs and put them in a cool dry place (in a cardboard box on a shelf in my storage room) till I need them again.

Congratulations on the soon to be arrival.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes congrats on the new one, be sure to post pics.

But as for the seed buying now, you will be fine and dandy. They always give you time limits on the longevity of seeds. Of course some are more sensitive than others. But I have been planting 5+ year old seeds for a long time now. You know those seeds that didn't get used one year and got somewhat lost than found than planted then to fruition. It's all good buy now, or look through the mags or on line during those brief moments of bliss when your baby is ACTUALLY sleeping that may bring a nice distraction for you. :wink:

Oh and don't forget to check in through out the winter, we never stop gardening here, it may not be in the garden but there is always work to talk about. :D We can help you through the seeding process.

P.S. Oh, I'm sorry I almost forgot to say Welcome the HG you are in good hands here. :()

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Personally, I always buy my seeds in the fall, because it's easier to find the rare varieties at that time of year. If properly stored, they germinate just fine the following spring.

EG

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”