lilcee

Question about beans and zucchini

My green beans are growing great and are covered with blossoms and small beans :D My problem is that I have worms - 3 different kinds that I've found and picked off by hand (quite the job).
My question is: can I treat the plants with either Neem or BT when they are producing beans? Or is it better to just keep picking them off by hand?

For my zucchini - they are growing good too but I noticed the leaves are getting yellow blotches on them. Is there something wrong with them or is this from water? I water my garden around 6 PM and it's still hot here in FL.

Thanks for all your help. This place is the best. I've learned so much from this forum.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Well, seeing as the BT is a bacteria, I would think that if you waited long enough before eating and washed them well, you would be alright.

The blotches may be due to the heat.

I'm no expert on bt, so hopefully someone more experienced with this will come lend an opinion.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

lilcee what part of Florida are you located? I've got zucchini growing but it only creates male flowers so far. Small green worms tried to destroy the zucchini plant (like they did with my broccoli plant) but I took care of most of them using the "seek and squish" option.

lilcee

Francis Barnswallow wrote:lilcee what part of Florida are you located? I've got zucchini growing but it only creates male flowers so far. Small green worms tried to destroy the zucchini plant (like they did with my broccoli plant) but I took care of most of them using the "seek and squish" option.
I live in North Florida. I have small green worms on my beans, as well as army worms and some other kind. I knock them off into a can of soapy water. A lot of work but it'll be worth it if I can stay ahead of them. I have mostly male blossoms on my zucchini too. I have a few little squash but most of them have dyed before they got big enough to eat.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Bt is a bacteria that only affects certain types of caterpillars, worms, insect larvae. You could eat the BT directly and it would do nothing to you.

Neem or Bt would be fine.

There are differences of opinion, but for people who live in humid climates, which I think includes you, I think you would do better to water in the AM. Watering at night, the water stays on the leaves over night, which is very conducive to fungal infections, which is most likely what is going on with your zucchini.

Type milk solution into the Search the Forum keyword box and find a lot of information about a treatment for fungal infections in plants.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Francis, give you squash some time. It's common for squash to start out with males (possibly to allow bees to add the the plant to their "pollination rout") and then put out females after a while.

lilcee

Thank you. I'll give that a try

rainbowgardener wrote:Bt is a bacteria that only affects certain types of caterpillars, worms, insect larvae. You could eat the BT directly and it would do nothing to you.

Neem or Bt would be fine.

There are differences of opinion, but for people who live in humid climates, which I think includes you, I think you would do better to water in the AM. Watering at night, the water stays on the leaves over night, which is very conducive to fungal infections, which is most likely what is going on with your zucchini.

Type milk solution into the Search the Forum keyword box and find a lot of information about a treatment for fungal infections in plants.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:Francis, give you squash some time. It's common for squash to start out with males (possibly to allow bees to add the the plant to their "pollination rout") and then put out females after a while.

Thanks for the tip. :D

lilcee

Here's a few pics of my beans and zucchini. A couple of the bean plants are starting to shrivel up - could that be root rot or nemotode?
They're covered with blossoms and looked healthy but this morning I noticed the leaves look wilted. :-(

[img]https://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/lilcee1947/100_1271.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/lilcee1947/100_1272.jpg[/img]

As you can see, I'm having a time with the worms

[img]https://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/lilcee1947/100_1273.jpg[/img]

This is one of the leaves with the end bitten off

[img]https://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/lilcee1947/100_1274.jpg[/img]

This one is my zucchini

[img]https://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/lilcee1947/100_1275.jpg[/img]

Thanks for all your help. This is the first year in a very long time I tried to have a garden so I have to re-learn everything. Plus the soil is so much different here in FL than it was in NY where I grew up.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”