Joyfirst
Green Thumb

What are planting for winter?

I garden in zone 10, so just planted peas, mache, carrots, kohlrabi. lettuce. What's in your winter garden?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Zone 8

Wong Bok, Tah Tsai, Pac Choi, Swiss Chard, Spinach, Collards, Kale, Lettuce, Carrots, Beets, Radishes, Turnips, Snap peas and I probably missed some.

Eric

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Hold overs from spring--okra, sweet basil, sage, thyme, rosemary. From early August--yard long beans and Kentucky Wonder pole beans, green onions. Recently planted----broccoli, brussels sprouts, soybeans, tomatoes, bell and sweet peppers, cucumbers. Seeds put in this morning------ carrots, mizuna purple, muzuna green, mesclun mix, Simpson leaf lettuce. Left to plant once the okra is gone----swiss chard, spinach, arugula, collards and parsley.

Zone 9 in New Orleans

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, carrots, and spinach.

EG

Cerbiesmom

Zone 9.
Collard, mustard, chard, broccoli, brussel sprouts, kohlrabi, pac choi, and I'm sure there's more.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

There's a very similar thread, from a gardener on the Northern California coast (Mendocino County, I think), at

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164890

Here's part of my response there:
cynthia_h wrote: Over the Labor Day weekend and since then, I've put in starts for kale, spinach, sugar snap peas, fava beans, arugula, chard, cabbage, cauliflower, bok choy, potatoes (this is a long shot), and rapini (broccoli raab).

I'm still planning to add radicchio, broccoli romanesco, and seeds of several more veggies (beets, carrots, parsnips, celeriac) so that I'll have some succession plants.

In 2008, I planted mache, chicory (endive), carrots, celeriac (celery root), beets, parsnips, turnips, and salsify (oyster plant). You'll no doubt find many varieties of lettuce starts at nurseries in your area; I haven't planted lettuce this go-round b/c we just don't end up eating it. Cooking greens are a more worthwhile investment of time/effort for this house.
"Southern California" encompasses about ten Sunset climate zones, some of which have a longer list than mine, and a few of which have a shorter list. You might want to look at the Sunset Western Garden Book at a nursery, hardware store, or bookstore to ascertain your climate zone. There *is* an online map at sunset.com, but it has been greatly simplified, and many of the zones, esp. on the Pacific Coast states, are flat-out wrong. The book has the correct maps.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I've got lettuce, spinach, broccoli, arugula, cilantro, more Swiss chard, peas, radishes (with various variety's of each) will soon have possibly carrots and definitely onions and garlic.

Still have beans, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, basil, oregano, peppers going.

JenniesVeggies
Newly Registered

I'm in the Bay Area, California (Zone 9)

I have Broccoli, Cauliflower, Spinach, Romain Lettuce, Beets, several different varieties of carrots,, Parsley and just planted shelling peas and Super Sugar Snap Peas yesterday! Everything was just planted 8 days ago, so they're just tiny little seedlings right now! :D

lilcee

I planted beans, zucchini, summer squash and okra. Tried beets and carrots but it's too hot still so will try again later along with some lettuce. I have a couple of "volunteer" melons that have blossoms.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”