Zipfelmuetze

Thai Chili

I have a small Thai Chili (Ornamental Pepper) plant. This thing is the hardiest plant ever! I had it out on my balcony last summer and I forgot to take care of it, basically left it out there without watering it for months. I finally felt bad for it one day and decided to take it in. It had little peppers on it and everything, even though I didn't water it. Now I am watering it, but I worried about over-watering it since it managed so well without water.
It is now growing cute little white flowers alongside the chili's. It has not grown in size at all, just stays the same. Is it supposed to get bigger?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, should get bigger! If it is cared for, the cute little white flowers will become more flowers. If it is indoors, you should shake the plant a little now then, to simulate breezes to help the pollination.

To grow and thrive, it needs regular watering and fertilization (since it's in a container).

To keep producing chilis indoors, it will need supplemental lighting.

Zipfelmuetze

Simulate breezes for pollination? That seems funny! I'll just stick a fan in front of it, next to my mint plant too to send over some minty fresh scent in my direction. I'm thinking about re-potting the Chili plant since it is in a fairly small container as well, maybe that's why it's staying so small.

soil
Greener Thumb

most of my thai plants are small, specially the small chili varietys like bird EDITED - PLEASE REPORT THIS POST chili. never had one get above 1.5 ft

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Those Thai Peppers are more than just ornamental, you can eat them as well. They have a nice taste.....but are HOT (at least, most of them are)!

The breeze isn't specifically for pollination (though, it does help), it actually helps to keep the plant strong. Enjoy the peppers (oh, and up-potting to a bigger pot is always a good idea).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”