Stella Blue

Broccoli question

Hi all. Please excuse my ignorance, this is my 1st year gardening. I planted broccoli about 50 days ago, and it has been growing very strong. It hasn't flowered yet (don't know if this plant does flower), and there are no heads as of yet. However, this morning I found small blackish things on the tops of most of my plants. They are loose, not part of a head.

Again, excuse my ignorance, but is this what is meant by bolting to seed, or is this the beginning of the production of heads.

Many thanks in advance.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

When broccoli flowers, it is after the head is formed. If you leave the head on too long, it will first turn a bit yellow and the little round beads of the head will open up to flower. If you don't have broccoli yet, it is not bolting.

Also, if it does form a head and you pick it, leave the plant so more shoots develop. Broccoli is one of my favorite winter vegetables since it sends out side shoots for a much longer harvest.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, the broccoli head we eat is made up of hundreds of tiny flower buds. If the buds open up into flowers, you waited too long. Once you have a head and definitely if any of the little buds show signs of opening up, just cut the head off and as gumbo said, leave the plant to produce smaller side heads.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

However, this morning I found small blackish things on the tops of most of my plants. They are loose, not part of a head.
Small blackish things and loose? Sounds like something some critter, or worm dropped. No, that is neither bolting nor making a head. Look closely for any damage to the leaves, and especially the tender growing tips. Look for little green worms. These are the areas the worms really like and also the tender growing tips are where the heads are formed. If you have worms eating the tips, you won't get any heads.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

To add a bit to what jal-ut said, check the underside of the leaves too. I find most of my pests on the underside of the leaves, especially members of the cabbage family and greens(collard/mustard/turnip.) The worms like to set up shop in the shade I guess. Also look for little clusters of eggs on the leaf underside. They are very small but are laid in clusters that are yellow/green in color. At least that has been my experience.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jim,

I'm more familiar with cabbage worm droppings being green. Could these black things be rodent droppings?

Eric

Stella Blue

Thank you all for your responses. It sounds like I was jumping the gun waiting for heads to form. They've still got over 3 weeks before they are supposed to be ready for harvest.

Dog, these droppings are about the same size and color of the broccoli seeds, that's why I was a bit confused.

Update on my 1st fall garden. I'm starting to be overwhelmed with zukes and yellow squash. Pole beans are a bust so far. Lettuce, spinach, and beets are big producers. The radishes are hit or miss. And the carrots are small still, but I've had a few tastes.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”