Dany_mex
Cool Member

Zucchinis don't bloom.

Hi,

Well I have some zucchinis and they are looking great, the flowers are starting to grow........but they aren't blooming, they grow a little and the open a little and them they just die or dry out.

What do you think it is?, do I need to fertilize?

Cheers.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Dany,

What is your weather like?

Eric

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

Mine do the same and it's very hot and humid.

Dany_mex
Cool Member

Hi,

The humidity it's starting to increase and during the day we are at 77 degrees even warmer sometimes and there is plenty of sunlight.

Hope this helps.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

It sounds like you are experiencing what's known as "blossom drop." This occurs when a plant is stressed and aborts fruit-set in order to focus on survival.

Have the plants been under/over watered? High temps in the 70s shouldn't bother squash that much.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Two possibilities, the blossom drop or lack of pollination. Squash flowers only last a day or so. Then they drop off. If the female flower was pollinated by a male flower (with the intervention of a bee or other pollinator), a squash will develop. You can tell which are female flowers, because they have a little baby squash already present behind the flower. It is common when plants are young for them to produce all male flowers at first. One theory is that that attracts the bees so they will be present when the female flowers appear. So check and see what you have going on. If you have male and female flowers but no bees, you can hand pollinate the female flowers.

Dany_mex
Cool Member

I really don't know if it is a polination problem since the flowers haven't even opened, does that matter or it is the same if they are closed.

Do you think it could be a problem of the soil?, and about the watering I'm sure I'm not overwatering I water the zucchini every 3 to 4 days when I seed that the soil is dry.

If you say it's blossom drop how can I solve it, I don't know why my zucchini's would be stressed.

Cheers.

Dany_mex
Cool Member

Here are some pictures of the flowers, I think I have only male flowers so far.

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG00956-20100917-1202.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG00955-20100917-1202.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG00954-20100917-1201.jpg[/img]

Cheers.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah only male flowers and as noted that is not uncommon when it is starting to bloom. But they should still open up and then drop off. Not sure what to tell you about that, except your plant is looking a little leggy-- small leaves and lots of stem. Is it getting enough sun? And it looks like a pretty small pot it is in. Do you know that if your plant thrives, it will get HUGE? Needs a bigger pot.

Dany_mex
Cool Member

Yes I know it will need a bigger pot but do you think I should transplant it now?.

About the sun, yes it is getting plenty of sun like I said before it is really sunny and we are at 77 or more degrees.

The leggyness or whatever you call it haha happened with some lettuces that I planted from seed and they told me the same about the sunlight but it is really weird because there's no lack of sun.

Do you think it will help if I use a little rope or something to make them more straight?.

Cheers.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, they don't need to be straight. They are a vine that sprawls and grows along the ground.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

When I look at the first picture, there are two flowers that look like they have previously been open. They are bigger than the others and are wrinkled, which is usually what they look like once they close up after opening.

I would transplant it now since squash plants can be really shocked when you transplant them, so it would be better to do it now while it is young and still have time to recover. Also, you really don't want to transplant it while it has squash forming because you may loose them.

What kind of a medium is it growing it? Also, what kind of fertilizer have you been giving it?

ACW

If you want prolific fruiting a much bigger pot is called for ,feed with some tomatoe feed ,something should come good .
my 5 gallon container ones on my balcony are slowing down on production but the 2 with plenty of room for roots and sprawling around in the garden are doing superbly ,2x2 good portions every week and looking good for the next few weeks .
don't forget keep them well watered !

applestar
Mod

When people say cucurbits (squash, zucchini, cucumber, pumpkin, gourd, etc.) suffer from transplant shock, what you need to realize is that these plants don't like their roots to be touching anything else but dirt.

A small container is a sure way to stunt their growth. In fact, the usual recommendation is to uppot or transplant out into the ground BEFORE the roots fill the pot -- way BEFORE they start circling the pot.

They are thirsty plants, and despite what you say, I'm not sure that they can be getting "plenty of sun". In a small container, they would be wilting every day in full sun. The flowers will abort without sufficient moisture.

Are they receiving at least 6 hours of direct sunlight -- not just day light? ... as in what they would get out in the middle of an open field? In a more equatorial location, you may want to avoid the noon-day sun, but they should still get at least sunrise to mid-morning sun, and maybe dappled shade (trees/lathe) sun during the mid-day until later in the afternoon when the sunlight isn't as strong.

Dany_mex
Cool Member

Hi,

Today I'm doing the transplant and about the sun, when I posted about a leggy lettuce they asked me the same and I tell you it's not just daylight what my plants get, I have them in my terrace and the sun comes in all day.

Here are some pics

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG00584-20100812-1522.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG00585-20100812-1524.jpg[/img]

Cheers.

Dany_mex
Cool Member

Hi,

Well I have made the transplant. Here are some pics.

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG00987-20100919-1910.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i353.photobucket.com/albums/r389/evo_flo/IMG00990-20100919-1910.jpg[/img]

There it is.

Cheers.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”