FarmerPhil

Broccoli Blew over

My Broccoli blew over today, I put a pice of wood to hold it up. my question is this should I tie the broccoli to the wood or just leave it kind of leaning on the wood?

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I tied mine and it lived for 2 years.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Phil,

When you say a piece of wood, do you mean wooden stake? Tying the broccoli to a stake should be fine. You might think of using strips of cloth so it doesn't girdle or cut the stem.

Franc, Two years :?:

Eric

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I'm serious, it didn't produce much fruit but it just kept on growing. I built the raised garden in april of 2008 and I planted my first batch of vegetables once complete....this broccoli plant (a tiny transplant at the time) was included.

It grew a large 2 inch thick 2 foot high stalk. That stalk then split itself open and it started to grow new stalks nearly the same size. It kept repeating the process but this year those small green worms destroyed it. I then found other pests (nematodes/knotted roots) in the garden and figured this soil was done. So I resoiled the garden a month ago with new plants and so far so good.

btw the broccoli plant was still living when I yanked it out. The only original plant I have left from when the garden was built is a strawberry plant, and that only produces moldy strawberries. :cry:

TWC015

It sounds a little like your broccoli was left too long and grew flowering stalks.

The broccoli plant dies after it produces flowers and seeds. They are technically annuals but I can get them to grow like biennials in my location by planting in October and harvesting in February or March.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”