tedln
Super Green Thumb

Anyone grown the Chichimeca Jalapeno?

I was ordering some tomato seed the other day and as always, found myself in the pepper section of the web page. They had a hybrid jalapeno named "Chichimeca Japapeno" which claims to have all the attributes I like including way above average size of fruit, and slightly lower scoville units of heat. I really wasn't planning on growing peppers from seed next spring, but figured it may be the only way I can try this pepper. Anyone ever grow it?

I did a google search on it and found it to be a legitimate name. Some vendors simply stick a new name on an old variety.

Ted

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I'd be interested to know also! I'd like a slightly milder jalapeno to grow next year for stuffed jalapeno's on the grill.

We did pick 9 pounds off of 4 plants yesterday morning!

csvd87

I will look into this one, all my jalapenos have been mild.. like bell mild. also a shrimpy plant, bought a starter from a nursery.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Ted, I know what that's like (I think we all do). You go into the catalog/site looking for one thing and come out with 5 :lol:.

As for your pepper, this is the first time I've heard of it, though it does sound like it would be worth trying. I like the idea of a large jalapeno, but I hope it's not too mild (I like the jalapeno flavor).

tedln
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:Ted, I know what that's like (I think we all do). You go into the catalog/site looking for one thing and come out with 5 :lol:.

As for your pepper, this is the first time I've heard of it, though it does sound like it would be worth trying. I like the idea of a large jalapeno, but I hope it's not too mild (I like the jalapeno flavor).
I think flavor and heat are not always tied together. You can have one without the other. My favorite pepper taste is habenero, but I can't eat them full strength with out an IV drip of fire extinguisher. They do have to be toned down. Fortunately, the habenero has enough flavor that it can be toned down and still retain the flavor in dishes.

I've always covered most of my food with either Tabasco sauce, or Louisiana hot sauce. I discovered we were out of both the other day and found myself in a panic until I located a bottle of Tabasco brand habenero sauce hidden in the back of the refrigerator. I had forgotten it was there.

I was reminded again just how good habenero is.

Ted

csvd87

You can always try the NuMex Suave or the Zavory for mild habanero types.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I mentioned my fondness for hot sauces in my previous post. I think we need a rating system for hot sauces similar to the way they rate fine wines. Some are really that good while others are only average and others seem more like vinegar with red food dye.

I sometimes eat at those carry out or dine in Chinese fast food restaurants. Most I have eaten at have large (seems like almost quart size) clear, plastic bottles with pull off plastic caps on top, full of bright red hot sauce. The hot sauce is so thick it almost has a ketchup consistency. The bottle has a combination of Chinese and English characters on it. I've never seen it for sale in grocery stores. That stuff is so good, I sometimes squirt it into a teaspoon and lick the spoon. Does anyone know where that hot sauce can be purchased and possibly the brand name?

Ted

csvd87

sounds like you've described Sriracha hot sauce. If so, that stuff is delicious, great on hot dogs :)

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Yes Sriacha sauce! I did some google searching last night. It's also called "Rooster Sauce". If you have tried it on hot dogs, that means you found it somewhere other than Chinese restaurants. Grocery store? Its made from the Serrano chili and is so good.

Ted

garden5
Super Green Thumb

If you can't find it at a local grocery store, [url=https://www.google.com/products?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&q=Sriracha+sauce&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=bz2WTLOVEsXflgeYrrWoCg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CC0QrQQwAg]here[/url] are a lot of other places that are offering them.

Oh, [url=https://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/sriracha.htm]here[/url] is one of the companies that produces it. Now, if you have a large supercenter-type grocery store, go to the service desk and ask to speak to a manager. Many times, you can request a specific product that a store does not carry and they will get it in for you :wink:.

csvd87

I have a 2 year passed expiry bottle in the fridge at work, still great :P I put it in soups, on hot dogs, spring rolls, just about anything... Franks Red Hot however, "I Put that S**t on Everything"

tedln
Super Green Thumb

csvd87 wrote:I have a 2 year passed expiry bottle in the fridge at work, still great :P I put it in soups, on hot dogs, spring rolls, just about anything... Franks Red Hot however, "I Put that S**t on Everything"
Hot sauce wouldn't have a chance to get one day past expiration date if I was around. Never tried Franks. Why do you think it is so good?

Ted

csvd87

I don't really know, Its mild enough to enjoy every bit, its is pretty well good on anything it is placed upon, including chips, crackers and cheezies. It is best on pizza. Tobasco has its place (especially the Caesa, delicious) , but the cayenne sauce is so much better. I'd love to find a habanero sauce as delicious as franks, but all I can find is blends (like peach or mango habanero sauce) or something like Louisiana Habanero. So I hope to make my own in the future.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Frank's Red Hot is great :o !

I've even put in on popcorn :shock:..........and it tasted great. On the popcorn, it added some kick, but also gave it a kind-of-a-cheesey taste, which is odd because Franks never gives anything else that taste :?. Oh, maybe it was because it was mixed with the butter on the popcorn :?:.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I love to try different hot sauces, but always gravitate back to the Tabasco brand for some reason. Now with the Jalapeno and Haberno varieties, they pretty well cover my needs. I like the Tabasco because it is only fermented peppers in salt. That results in a thick paste which is thinned down with water and maybe a little vinegar, so it will flow from the bottle. The reason Tabasco is on Avery Island, Louisiana is the fact that huge salt mines are underground. The salt mines were a major target of the Union forces in the civil war. Mortons salt company is still producing the pure white salt from the mines.

I also like most of the Louisiana hot sauces but I also enjoy some of the more pasty sauces with moderate heat, but high pepper taste. Some have garlic and other flavors added. I like the garlic, but not the fruits. I will see if Franks is in any of our local grocery stores.

Ted

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I bought a fresh bottle of regular Tabasco sauce yesterday. I really wanted another bottle of the Tabasco habernero sauce but the small town grocery near where we live doesn't carry a wide variety of anything. I was in a Target superstore this afternoon and found myself on the isle that included their wide variety of hot sauces. I found "FRANKS" red hot. Unlike Tabasco, all of Franks bottles are large. It doesn't matter because it won't get a chance to get old.

When we got home, I popped the cap on Franks and filled a tablespoon to give it a try. It was very good, but not much heat. I then covered some grilled chicken with it for dinner. Again, good taste, no heat. I will use the bottle of sauce pretty quick, but keep my eyes open at the store for some more habenero sauce. The habenero sauce has a complex fruity, peppery taste with some heat.

Ted

csvd87

Franks does make an "Xtra Hot" variety of their sauce, I haven't tasted it yet. But it might be to your tastes. I haven't seen the Tobasco habanero sauce anywhere around here, only Original, Jalapeno, and Chipotle. Actually, I have leftover pizza in the fridge, maybe I'll venture out for some of that Xtra Hot Franks.

csvd87

Ok I Just gave the Xtra Hot a go, same flavour, more heat, well for me, quite a bit more. Only difference in ingredients is Oleoresin Capsicum is added to the blend (aka Pepper Spray), I was only putting a few drops on each bite of pizza. I'm sure if you did a teaspoon of it, it would be hot.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Has anyone here ever tried making their own hot sauce :idea:?

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I've made pepper condiments over the years but nothing I would classify as pepper sauce.

I don't know if all the pepper sauce varieties are produced the same, but Tabasco brand picks their peppers when they are at the peak of ripeness. They crush or break them to open the pods up. They are then packed into Oak barrels in layers with salt between each layer. They are then allowed to ferment in the barrels for about a year. After a year of fermentation, the peppers and liquid are dumped into a press where the liquid is pressed out of the pulp. The liquid is the pepper sauce. I can't duplicate the process at home.

Ted

csvd87

tis why I am growing cayennes. 4 plants just started producing... will have to bring indoors

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”