sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

wondering why my green beans didn't do well this year

usually it is my tried and true crop that always performs no matter what the circumstances. like last year when we had a rainy cool summer with like no sun, the green beans went nuts. this year? they didnt do well at ALL. so weird!!! it was hot and sunny and not rainy at all. maybe they like rainy and cool? IDK!!!

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Too much heat shuts them down! Happened to me this year too. My fall beans got pulled by the birds too, I wanted to pickle some more.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

wow. so I didn't know that about green beans. so is it harder to grow them down south?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Not sure about the rainy part, but beans do very well here in the mild Northwest. Our summers are usually in the mid to low 80's and no rain. I do water about an inch a week.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02644.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02443.jpg[/img]

Eric

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

wow. so I didn't know that about green beans. so is it harder to grow them down south?
Negative ghost rider ;) 8) Its very easy to grow beans here in the south! One of my best and earliest crops!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

so then the heat must not be the issue then? wonder what was up with this year for me.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Around here in Middle TN, "everyone" has been talking about the failure of their green beans this year. I suspect it was due to excessive heat... we had a seemingly endless streak of 95-100 degree temps this year.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

it was 90-95 almost all summer. but it did cool down some.

I wonder if the weird leaves was a fungus and thats why they did poorly?

kgall

My weather is similar to yours and my first attempt at beans was a miserable failure. I threw some seeds in after I pulled my potatoes and they are doing wonderfully! It hasn't been quite as hot, and they were the seeds were from the same package so I think it is the heat that did them in!

lily51
Greener Thumb

We had a very rainy, cool May, June. Planted the beans in several different plantings. None did well and we had rain weekly most of the summer.
It did get very hot, 90+weather. It was a crop failure!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

kgall wrote:My weather is similar to yours and my first attempt at beans was a miserable failure. I threw some seeds in after I pulled my potatoes and they are doing wonderfully! It hasn't been quite as hot, and they were the seeds were from the same package so I think it is the heat that did them in!
I'm not too far from NH so it was probably VERY similar climate. :)

it was one of those things where there was never enough to pick for supper ya know? and then by the time I had enough well yeah. there was a lot of wasted beans.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

my greenbeans would only give me a handful here and there. No really good "crop" and I have a bunch of plants.

Maybe next year?

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have picked tons of green beans and the vines are still loaded with them, it is impressive how many beans they are putting out. Now my snow peas did not do that well this year.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

What kind of summer did you have?

My spring planting of snap peas was a bust. I left the garden gate open and my ducks had lunch. Three 10ft rows of peas. :cry:

I have one row of snap peas under Agribon. They are about 4" tall. Looking good so far.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”