gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

When will it end????

I went out to the garden around 8 a.m. to do some weeding (nut grass), turn the compost pile and pick some yard longs and okra. In the hour or so it took me to do that, I managed to totally soak a T-shirt, shorts and socks with sweat.

Just a few minutes ago I went out again to put some peat pots together with some compost to start more cucumber seeds since the ones I put in the garden 2 weeks ago are fading fast due to the heat. I was working in the shade of my 2nd story porch and took the thermometer from the porch and set it in the garden by my sweet basil plant. It took me about 1/2 hr. to do this little bit of work and when I looked at the temp. on the thermometer, it showed 108*.

I don't know about the rest of you good folks, but I'm just about fed up with high temperatures, high humidity and nut grass. Fall can't get here fast enough.

csvd87

I'll take some hot weather off your hands, gladly :) you can have the mild weather we have. I JUST WANT THE SUN :( :cry:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

So will I, we have had the summer that wasn't here!!! I was born and raised on Vancouver Island and you aren't getting much sun either??? Have the monsoons hit yet???

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I don't know about the rest of you good folks, but I'm just about fed up with high temperatures, high humidity and nut grass. Fall can't get here fast enough.
Word...

Hoping its not too hot for the carrots, radishes, mustard greens, turnip greens, beets, onions, cowpeas, and snow peas I just planted. They should be sprouting anytime now. they are getting some relief at night.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

LindsayArthurRTR wrote:Hoping its not too hot for the carrots, radishes, mustard greens, turnip greens, beets, onions, cowpeas, and snow peas I just planted. They should be sprouting anytime now. they are getting some relief at night.

I'm not even thinking of putting any of the fragile leafy stuff just yet. I did put in several transplants each of broccoli and brussels sprouts and so far I've only lost 2 broccoli to the heat. My tomato transplants are thriving but the cucumbers I transplanted 2 weeks ago are fading fast. I have more in peat pots put up today to replace them in a couple of weeks. My yard longs are popping but I will pull the Kentucky Wonders and replace them with snow peas in a couple of weeks.

Carrots, beets,leaf lettuce, spinach, chard and collard greens will have to wait a few more weeks.

csvd87

no monsoons yet, been mild lately,, some wind and rain, the usual, now.. november, thats a different story...

Lifestyle Lift Journey

My mother who lives in Japan told me that it was a very hot summer this year. Many vegetables didn't grow well because of the excess heat and price went sky high. They tasted not good either for the same reason.

I'm in the southern hemisphere, Australia. Spring just started here. I'm guessing the coming summer is as bad as northern hemisphere.

I hope people up north see the signs of Fall very soon so that they can rest a little better.

Hispoptart

I will gladly take some of your warm weather. I'm not ready for winter and it's already frosted several nights here.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Hispoptart wrote:I will gladly take some of your warm weather. I'm not ready for winter and it's already frosted several nights here.
I can handle "warm"-------but this stuff is downright miserably hot. Trying to get into the garden is only advisable in the early a.m. or late afternoon since late June. Even then, the simplest chore requires a shower when done.

To my more northern brethren, I have a few friends in Sudbury, Ontario and they have some pretty brutal winters so I can understand your wanting warm weather for a bit longer. I think no matter where one lives, we can always complain about our weather.

Cerbiesmom

I'm with you, Gumbo. I was sweating like crazy yesterday while weeding as well. I felt like I was going to pass out. I'm not ready for winter, I hate the cold. But I'm ready for it to not be sweltering.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Me to Gumbo.

I have to admit, my garden is now doing great. It is better than my spring garden. Cucumbers I planted three weeks ago are growing like crazy with tons of tiny cukes on the vines. My fall onions are doing great. My fall yellow squash is producing like crazy. I'm still having to provide shade for my young tomato plants, both cuttings and transplants. I had to watch a few plants wither and die in the heat and bright sun before I started providing some shade. That seemed to solve the problem. The only thing that seems reluctant to buck the heat are the green leafy veggies. They are alive and will start growing with some cooler weather.

Ted

lilcee

LindsayArthurRTR wrote:
Word...

Hoping its not too hot for the carrots, radishes, mustard greens, turnip greens, beets, onions, cowpeas, and snow peas I just planted. They should be sprouting anytime now. they are getting some relief at night.

I live in North FL and I planted carrots and beets twice and nothing came up. Guess it's too hot still here

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

gumbo2176 wrote:I managed to totally soak a T-shirt, shorts and socks with sweat.
I am with you gumbo. I installed a large outdoor shower for that reason. My wife always judges how hot and humid it is by how many shirts I go through and how many outdoor showers I take. Sometimes I wear a bathing suit under my blue jeans so I can just strip down and jump in the lake.

I planted some squash a couple of weeks ago in my pier boxes. The plants look great in the rich soil and I began picking some squash today. This is my first time to get late squash to do anything. I may have tried it too early in years past.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”