TayciBear
Newly Registered

Planting in Fall

I'm new to gardening so I was needing some help. I was wondering if you really have to follow the guide on the back of the seed packet like how far to plant them because I live by a professional corn field and they do not have their corn four feet apart.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Take a look at this site, it may help you with planting depth and spacing.

https://www.garden.org/foodguide/browse/veggie

Hope it helps

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I suggest planting 3 rows or more, 30 inches apart, with a seed every 8 to 12 inches for home gardens.

I suppose that even the farmers vary somewhat in their planting. 36 inch spacing is common here for field corn.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmmmm, perhaps your query was not so much about corn as whether the seed packets always had the best information? For the most part, I think the seed packets do pretty well describing the culture of the cultivar in a few words. Here is the problem; every garden has its own mini environment and the climate varies dramatically across the country. What works for me may not work for you, and especially when talking about planting times. Gardening practices/methods also dictate different spacings and planting times.

I suggest you check with your local extension, local gardeners, and garden stores in your area. Gardeners in your area can give you much better advice than someone clear across the country. That is the nice thing about this forum, there are people from all over checking in. You may get answers from people in your area.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've found that the seed packets tend to recommend you space things farther apart than you absolutely have to, particularly with the distance between rows.

Some crops you can crowd more than others, though.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”