lilcee

Question about green beans

I planted green beans for my Fall garden. They came up quick (less than a week) and the leaves are huge. The problem is that the roots don't seem to be very sturdy. They're falling over. We had a lot of rain for a few days and I wonder if they got root rot. They look nice but they aren't standing up straight. How can I fix the roots so they are stronger or is there no hope for that?
I'll try to post a pic.
Thanks

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I'm going to ask a really stupid question. Are these beans bush or pole type? If pole type, they need support to grow properly, if bush type, they should stand on their own. Heavy rain will beat them down a bit and it takes a few days to recover if the plants are small.

lilcee

Sorry, I forgot to mention - they are bush beans.

lilcee

Here's a couple of pics.

[img]https://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/lilcee1947/100_1260.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q200/lilcee1947/100_1258.jpg[/img]

KWGardener
Newly Registered

My bush beans all did the same thing this year. It was my first year growing beans so I'm not sure if this is common or not, LOL.

The only ones that stood up were the ones which were surrounded by a short fence to keep the rabbits out. The fence supported them.

I also put one plant in one of those flimsy tomato cages, worked well but probably wouldn't want to use a cage for each bush bean plant :lol:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

lilcee wrote:Sorry, I forgot to mention - they are bush beans.
In that case, it was probably just the rains. I'd give it some time and see if they perk up after a few dry, sunny days.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I do not know if this helps, but I noticed with the bush beans I planted this year, the packages all say they need no support. That is a joke. I have raised beds and they lay all over taking up space, so I got some of that cheap wire scalloped border - got it at the dollar store and it fold out in three or 4 pieces, I took then apart and surrounded the bush beans on all sides, they helped alot, they grew up but didn't flop all over. I surrounded more then one plant with it, I didn't put that around just one plant. With raised beds my space is limited and this keeps them in a certain specified section. If not they were all over the other plants and looked frankly sloppy. My bush lima's did quite well this way and were much nicer to work with. I am not a big fan of the bush beans because of this.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Well, there doesn't look like there is anything wrong with the bases of the plants, but the do look pretty big. Maybe you have a variety that does need a little "help" to stand up once they get larger, especially after something like a hard rain knocks them down.

lilcee

They're called Blue Lake Bush Beans. I never had any beans come up so fast. I planted them on a Tues and they were up by Sat.
I planted some more this past Tues and they are coming up already. Must be the kind of beans I guess.
Thanks all for your help.

Hispoptart

Yours look just like mine do every year. I just pick them up and move them around when I harvest them. They don't seem to mind because as soon as I get to the end of the row, I go back to the beginning and they seem to have produced more for me to pick LOL

lilcee

Their starting to blossom. Now if I can just keep the worms off them. I picked a leaf off them this morning that was covered with tiny little baby worms. I check them everyday to hopefully stay ahead of them. Also having a problem with boarers in my squash. grrrrr

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Beans are like that. You look at them one day, and there's nothing there, then you look again, and there's 4 qts. of beans :shock:. Bush beans will really do this.

Enjoy your beans!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”