SamTHorn
Newly Registered

Looking for effective way to keep cats out of garden...

I have a problem with neighborhood cats in my garden.

Does anyone have an effective way to keep cats from pooping in my garden?

Thanks in advance...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Get to know Search the Forum; it will be your friend and help you find tons of good information that is here already. We've had extensive discussions of cats in the garden.

Here's one prior thread about cats in the garden, that has links to several previous discussions:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=139042&highlight=cats#139042

garden5
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://static.rcgroups.com/forums/attachments/2/2/3/4/7/6/t2754554-198-thumb-mean-dog.jpg[/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yep! I'm with G5 on this one. :D

Cats, We love cats :twisted:

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Jacob%20and%20Pepper/DSC02231.jpg[/img]
Jacob and Pepper

applestar
Mod

I suppose dogs can be trained NOT to "go" in your garden.... :wink:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I suppose dogs can be trained NOT to "go" in your garden....
Apple,

Most dogs are trainable, especially Labrador Retrievers. You can get them to go in your neighbors yard. :lol: :> Mine have their special place, up the hill, above my shop.

Eric

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Why do you want to keep the cats out of your garden?

I have 3 cats, my neighbor has 5 cats, there are several more cats in the neighbor hood. Cats are not a problem for me.

Cats will keep away the snakes, frogs, rabbits, skunks, and all other small critters.

My cats think the garden is the worlds largest cat box and it was made just for them. LOL. I don't mind the cats putting a little extra fertilizer on my plants. If the cats dig too close to the tiny little new plants I simply water the plant cats hate mud. When the mud is dry the soil is hard and the cats will dig where the soil is softest.

A cat magnet is a bag of sand. If you want to attract the cats to a certain location of the garden just pour a bag of play sand all in one spot and watch what happens.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

This thread has a good discussion on why to keep dog and especially cat feces OUT of most compost piles and definitely out of the dirt:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=60682

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

greenstubbs

cynthia_h wrote:This thread has a good discussion on why to keep dog and especially cat feces OUT of most compost piles and definitely out of the dirt:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=60682

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
Yea, any meat eating animal dung is not good!!!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yea, any meat eating animal dung is not good!!!

I would not use dog or cat manure in my garden, but zoo poo and human manure are used in many countries. Some even have outhouses in front of their homes so the tourist will use them.

Eric

Cerbiesmom

applestar wrote:I suppose dogs can be trained NOT to "go" in your garden.... :wink:
Absolutely. I had a litter born at my house, and I managed to teach 6 pups, their mom, plus my 3 dogs to not step foot in the garden, and they "go" on the other side of the yard, unless its raining.

But I agree that a dog will definitely keep a cat out of the garden. I occasionally have to let my 3 out to chase cats/squirrels/birds out of the garden, and even in the heat of the chase, my dogs don't walk in my garden.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I heard that putting down blood meal helps keep critters away b/c they can't stand the smell.....can't say that I blame them. That stuff stinks.

Hispoptart

Gary350 wrote:Why do you want to keep the cats out of your garden?

I have 3 cats, my neighbor has 5 cats, there are several more cats in the neighbor hood. Cats are not a problem for me.

Cats will keep away the snakes, frogs, rabbits, skunks, and all other small critters.

My cats think the garden is the worlds largest cat box and it was made just for them. LOL. I don't mind the cats putting a little extra fertilizer on my plants. If the cats dig too close to the tiny little new plants I simply water the plant cats hate mud. When the mud is dry the soil is hard and the cats will dig where the soil is softest.

A cat magnet is a bag of sand. If you want to attract the cats to a certain location of the garden just pour a bag of play sand all in one spot and watch what happens.
I have a cat, but she is kept indoors where she belongs. I personally do not want my yard smelling like a litter box, that's why I don't want my cat or any one else's in my yard. An air-soft or paintball gun does wonders, sometimes if I am fast enough they get a good soaking with a hose. If my neighbors don't like it when I shoot or soak their cat, then they best keep it out of my yard. There's a reason it's called my yard, because it's mine.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Hispoptart wrote:
Gary350 wrote:Why do you want to keep the cats out of your garden?

I have a cat, but she is kept indoors where she belongs. I personally do not want my yard smelling like a litter box, that's why I don't want my cat or any one else's in my yard. An air-soft or paintball gun does wonders, sometimes if I am fast enough they get a good soaking with a hose. If my neighbors don't like it when I shoot or soak their cat, then they best keep it out of my yard. There's a reason it's called my yard, because it's mine.

Be careful not do anything that would cause a vet-visit by the owner. Depending on your laws, you may be liable for the damage......even though they really should just keep their pets on their own property :roll:

As for an effective repellent, there are tons of home remedies out there: some work, some don't, some work for some folks and not for others :?.

One thing I've heard of that consistently produces good results is a motion sensing sprinkler. As the name implies, it sprays anything that walks by.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

One thing I've heard of that consistently produces good results is a motion sensing sprinkler. As the name implies, it sprays anything that walks by.
Oh sure, then I would need a bar of soap and a towel in my garden. I would be constantly forgetting to turn it off and taking a shower every time I go by.

:P Eric

Hispoptart

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
Oh sure, then I would need a bar of soap and a towel in my garden. I would be constantly forgetting to turn it off and taking a shower every time I go by.

LOL..That would be me too.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:

:lol: :lol: DDF, I could totally see the same thing happening to me. The neighbors would see me walking to my garden in a rain-coat on a warm, sunny July afternoon :lol:.

csvd87

I was gonna buy an airsoft gun to manage the deer, cats are not an issue. I throw rocks at deer, but my aim with rocks is terrible( a baseball however...) but I decided to spend the 90 bucks on more stuff for my garden.. more containers, potting soil, an alpine strawberry plant, cranberry plant... and so on.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”