supagirl277

Corn and Peas... How deep to REALLY plant

I keep planting peas and not getting much plants! I planted a couple rows of corn, and only 3 of them grew! I don't think I'm putting the seeds far enough in the ground, or close enough to the surface... I need help, and I'd gladly appreciate it.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

This is the wrong time of the year to plant corn. Seeds should be 4 to 6 inches apart and about 2" deep in loose soil. Check the weather forcast and plant the day before it rains.

I sow peas like grass seed just throw them out in the snow about end of January. 1000s of seeds 1" apart in a row 2 ft wide 20 ft long. When the weather gets right they come up. I will have peas to pick in late April just about the time weather is getting warm and it is time to till the soil and plant my garden.
Last edited by Gary350 on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I plant peas in rows close together. I crowd them about 1" apart along a trellis. It may be a little too warm for them to germinate outside. You could try putting them in a covered Tupperware container and soak them overnight. Drain em and leave em in the fridge for like 3-4 days then plant them. See if that works. You'll need to keep them well watered for a couple weeks. I doubt you'll get corn to produce in the time left. Maybe, but unlikely.

supagirl277

Oh ya, I was just asking for next year :) Studying up

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Peas beans and corn sould be planted 1.5 inches deep. After planting, press the soil down firmly. This is important to put the soil in firm comtact with the seed, to help in wicking moisture up from down below, and to prevent rapid drying of the soil in the wind.
[url=https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/planting/planting.htm]Check this out.[/url]

garden5
Super Green Thumb

The last few times I planted peas, I got very poor germination. Last time, I soaked them overnight and that seemed to help the germination rate. Next time, I'm going to use the pre-sprouting method that Jal explains [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22142&highlight=presprout+peas]Here[/url].

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”