CherA

How to save seeds from veggies?

Hello,
I am wondering the best ways to save seeds frmo variuos veggies I grew in my garden from peppers to egg plant to squashes, beans etc.
Since none of the peas or other than the green beans grew, none of the canteloupe or watermelon grew, nothign but the above grew, that is it I guess. I wonder if you can save grape seeds and grow them? Someone stole all my grapes (3 var) and last year did the same..not birds. They wer efor my parrots..as were the peas that didn;t coem up this year. What a shame.
I am not goign to be able to afford the same seeds next year and Gurneys did send me some replacements but I want to know how to save them and plant them next year etc etc. Can anyone help me?
I appreciate it very much> I wrote to the gardening forum on tomatoes on how to save teh tomatoe seeds> Cher

xoxo

I've always just put the seeds on a dry paper towel or plate and let them dry out. If the seeds are really wet, you may need to change the paper towel a time or two. Once they're dry, I put them in a zip lock bag. Some seeds, I put in the freezer. But I mainly save watermelon seeds, and I don't put them in there. I do this every year, and I always have luck with them. Maybe someone else can give you more advice.

Good luck!

Ashley

soil
Greener Thumb

you could look online and go through multiple sites looking for the info. or you can get this book and it will be all you could ever need.

https://www.amazon.com/Seed-Growing-Techniques-Vegetable-Gardeners/dp/1882424581

CherA

Thanks guys for the seed growing help. I'll see if my library has that book; sounds like one I would want for my own but they're a lending library and will get it for me to check out. Sounds very good. Great for my reference library. As for teh watermelon, if it would grow, now I know how to do those. LOL Cher

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I do the same with green pepper and other seeds... dry them between two layers of paper towels.

I store seeds in paper envelopes in frig or freezer. I find ziplock baggies hold too much moisture and can lead to mold or rot.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.seedsave.org/issi/issi_904.html]Here[/url] is a great resource from the International Seed Saving Institute.

Definitely worth bookmarking for future reference :wink:.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Another book to look at/for is Suzanne Ashworth, Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardens. She doesn't work with fruit, though. :(

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

CherA

Thakn you all. I had been given that book title yesterday anad it definately is one I want in my library. First I'm asking my library to get it for me so I can look at it (times are very lean). The other link to 27 seeds to save, I nearly died. Who knew you could save seeds from so many things? I desperaetly needed info of this type. I can;t thkn you folks enough, all of you. I am not good at remembering names, but there are a handfull of you that I know contributed with excellent references and information that I am finding extremely useful and I'm sure others will as well. Bookmarked that second baby all right! I was reading abotu teh carrots as I had planted so many nice ones...didn;t know I could save seeds from them..and its not too late!! Yippee! I'm such a happy camper today with so much info from the different forums here. This place is so cool. Again, thank you so very much. Cher who is going to get busy!! Next yaer my costs for seed is expected to be practically nada thank to you and that is about waht I can afford so wish me luck! Will let you know how eacah project works out.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Glad we could help :). Keep us posted on your projects.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”